• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

'29 ignition switch/coil combo...

Started by kimmc, February 04, 2010, 07:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimmc

I just removed the combination ignition switch/coil from my '29 coupe.  The switch on the back of the coil is pot metal and has so many cracks in it that it could crumble in many small pieces at any time (picture attached).  I'm sure these are the original parts.  I was planning to replace this with a new switch/coil combo from Atwater-Kent.  Does someone know how the bezel surrounding the lock cylinder is attached and how to remove it without damage?  Has anyone installed the Atwater-Kent switch/coil combo?  Also, is there anyone out there that refurbishes the bezel with new paint, lettering (ignition,on, off, lock).  I don't know if the coil is good and the key has been lost.  Any advice or guidance you might be able to provide is appreciated.  I am a novice at this.  Thanks.  Kim Mc

1929luv

Sir

First of all If any one has a spare Chrome IGN. cover for a 29 I would like to buy it thanks Craig

To get the Chrome metal off,  there should be four bent areas on the chrome that has been bent under the metal plate. Then you will be able to take the bezel off, then you will find two screws under the black plate and chrome that hold that metal plate on.  After you remove the plate that held the chrome bezel on then you can bend the tabs that hold the switch to the coil.  Ok as far as the decal you can buy on from Floyd Carlstrom, 3151 Country Trunk J, Vernona, WI 53593-9085 www.dashknobs.com 608 845 7855 (before 8pm est)  He will be gone for 6 weeks as of Sat the 31st of Jan I just got my decals in for the gages and they will work great for me.  I hope this helps and not to much rambling Good Luck Craig

kimmc

Hey, thank you Craig!  I thought the bent under corners on the chrome bezel were just damage from a prior attempt to bend the tabs holding the switch to the coil.  Your instruction and info re the decal have been a tremendous help.  Because of the age of the coil, the poor condition of the pot metal switch, and that the ignition key has been lost, I presumed I should just start with a new coil and ignition like that offered by Atwater Kent (link below).  Do you agree?  Do you know if my old mounting bracket on the coil comes off and should be used to mount a replacement coil (this is probably a question for Atwater Kent).  Send me a picture of your '29 if you have time.  Thanks again for your reply...you've been a great help.  Kim Mc

http://atwaterkentmfg.com/Ignition%20Coils.htm#4

29plycoop

??? should I tear it apart or NOT !!!!  :-\I just had my ignition coil out of my '29 Ply Coupe. The ignition key was hard to turn. At first I just worked some oil into it that helped some but was not satisfied with the improvement.  Tried avoiding taking it apart because the pot metal lock insert on it had a lot of cracks in it like yours.  Fear of the unknown thing. Not being satisfied decided to tear into it.  As it turned out the insert that the ignition key turns is a spring loaded set of double contacts that needed to be cleaned and lubed (used dielectric grease) and reassembled. It made a lot of difference in the operation of the switch. The contacts were corroded and had to affect the connection to the coil. The insert stayed together but at some point in time the next step will be to reproduce and replace the pot metal insert. Your coil can be tested and a good locksmith can make you a key if you take the coil/switch assy to him. My original coil still works great. Hope this helps. Happy Motoring!!!! - Rich   
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.