• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Master brake cylinder 1929 U

Started by jjohn, March 25, 2018, 09:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjohn

The master cylinder outer housing, is it possible to remove it for restoration? Thanks.

Russ T. Fender

It is threaded on but I have never been able to get it off and am afraid to use heat as there is a seat between it and the main body that has a rubber component that is not part of any rebuild kit I have ever seen.  Hope someone has the answer.

frankp

The re-builder I use removes it.  Brake and Equipment Warehouse, Minneapolis, MN.  They make new hoses also.

http://brakeandequipment.com/
frank p

Carson

I sent my master cylinder to Ace Hydraulics Calverton N.Y. for rebuild.  Had to bore and resleve.  When installed it leaked around circuled area in post. Called and they said return which I did. Got back and reinstalled .  Still leaked.. Now they want it back again with fittings.  I really don't want to part with the fittings.  Don't know what to do but think I'll try someone else.  just venting  but does anyone have another repair service.  I'll chalk the 195.00 cost to experience.

frankp

Carson,

Underneath the cap is a large copper washer. Just a slight smaller diameter with a maybe 1/2" hole in the center, from memory.  Ask your shop if they saw one.  B&EW had to make this for my first cylinder.  The original was partially dissolved.  Were there copper washers for your fittings?  Those I don't remember, but think there should be.  Might be able to find at a good parts store.  Good luck.

frank
frank p

Russ T. Fender

Carson, where was it leaking?  Is it between the two sections or somewhere else?

Carson

It leaked around the outer cap.  I removed it and sent it to Brake and Equipment Warehouse  Minneapolis,Mn.Texted a picture from instruction book and he said he was familiar.  Just have to wait and see. I'll post when I get it back and installed.