• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Fabric/rubberized U-Joint Discs

Started by racertb, September 27, 2011, 12:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

Does anyone know a supplier for these?  I want to replace these on my '29 and I found a company online who specializes in these...however, they are $43 EACH.

Here is the link:

http://colletizer.com/u_joint_disc.html

wellery

Racer

Try the hard to source bits link on this forum - http://www.1948plymouth.info/28Q29U/index.php?topic=204.0

Or I make them out of old conveyer belt. found it to be the same material

Cheers

Wayne

29UJohn

I highly recommend Gene Bibber.  He has been making them for years and they are excellent and reasonably priced.  Last I checked with him, a set of 5 was $125.  Three discs go on the differential end and two go on the transmission end of the drive shaft.  The color is cream.  I have a set on my 29U Plymouth 4 DR Sedan (a driver) and they look and work great!

Gene Bibber
135 Brackett Road
Gorham, Maine  04038
Email:  missmud31@msn.com 
John
1929U 4 Dr

racertb

Thanks John...I've already emailed Gene and will get with him soon...trying to finalize what kind of tubes I'm going to go with (rubber or brass stem) first.  I've decided to go with the Lester black wall tires.

Also, I talked to Jay Fisher the other day about ordering a crank hole cover from him.

racertb

Does anyone have an phone number for Gene?

I emailed him about a week ago and haven't received a reply...prior to that, I emailed him to inquire and he replied right away.  Now that I'd like to order, I can't get ahold of him :o

29UJohn

Try (207) 839-4605

If you cannot reach him, you could try calling Odat Machine Inc.  332 New Portland Rd. Gorham, ME. 04038 (207) 854-2310.

Gene used to work there.  That is how he came to make the fabric U-joint Disks.

John
John
1929U 4 Dr

racertb

racertb

I got the discs from Gene yesterday and I was in the middle of installing the rear three today.  The problem is, the bolts that have the castle nuts (w/cotter pins) now don't go all the way through!  I guess the discs are a little think or not just worn in...it looks like I'm going to have to get some hex bolts about a 1/2" longer so I'll be able to get a lock washer and nut on the end.

Any other suggestions?

chetbrz

Quote from: racertb on November 13, 2011, 05:56:33 PM
I got the discs from Gene yesterday and I was in the middle of installing the rear three today.  The problem is, the bolts that have the castle nuts (w/cotter pins) now don't go all the way through!  I guess the discs are a little think or not just worn in...it looks like I'm going to have to get some hex bolts about a 1/2" longer so I'll be able to get a lock washer and nut on the end.

Any other suggestions?

How many disks did you get.  If I recall correctly one side or the other got two and the other side three ??

I don't now remember which was which.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Five total discs...three go in the rear (that's what was there) and two in the front. 

wellery

Hi

Why not try the larger bolts and nuts to try and tighten them until the compression on the fibre discs allows for your other bolts and the castle nuts to be used and secured.

I am sure you are aware to do them up diagonally so as he they take up evenly

Just a thought

Wayne

29UJohn

I agree.  The new disks will compress against each of the waffle washers (buckle washers) and will tighten enough to get the castle nuts on. 
I put a new set on a few years ago and had a similar problem, but when I evenly tightened the nuts, I was able to get the cotter pins in. 

Do not use lock washers.  You must use the castellated nuts and cotter pins.  The disks will wear over time and so the lockwashers will not do the job.  In fact, you should check the disks often after installing new ones, as you may have to tighten them once later.
John
1929U 4 Dr

racertb

Wayne/John:

I will go with the larger bolts for now to see about compressing...hopefully, I'll get them compressed enough quickly to put the original bolts and castle nuts back on...will do diagonally and still have the original buckle washers.

Trying to finalize the car for a show Thanksgiving weekend...got the tires and wheels all done, rebuilt a wheel cylinder in the process, and going to put the newly chromed bumpers back on this weekend.  Hopefully a test drive this weekend as well...

Thanks for your help!

racertb

Well, after three days of struggling, I had to go back to the old discs.  Even now, I can only get 2 of the three bolts to go through all the way to get the cotter pins in.  The third is almost there, but can't quite get compressed enough to see the hole for the cotter pin.  I save the new discs for another time as the show is this weekend and I don't have the time, a lift or other tools to wrestle with this.  Will try one more time today, otherwise it is what it is.  The old discs weren't terrible, but I thought I'd replace while I was doing other things to the car.

Oh well...car looks great and will post photos sometime after the weekend.

Doug

I would have to say my disc are original, They look a little weathered, but there is no vibration and I just drive the car around local and it does great for 80 year old. I have a customer That is 92 and still throes his leg over his motorcycle every day the sun is shinning so this age thing is not looking to bad.