• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Visitor from Down Under

Started by aussieQ, June 12, 2012, 08:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussieQ

Hi Guys,

My wife and I are coming over to the USA from Australia in late August and all of September mainly visiting family. I will be travelling through Hawaii, San Diego, San Francisco, Palm Springs, Las Vegas, Houston TX and Paducah KY to name a few places.

I will have and empty suitcase and hope to pick up a Plymouth Q engine gasket set, carby rebuild kit and possibly a few other small parts as spares for my Q in my travels.

Can anyone suggest the best places to get the gasket kits?

If there are any Plymouth owners in the areas I am visiting that would like to catch up and show me their vehicles I would be over joyed.

Regards

Gary Stocking (Aussie Q)

imoore

Looks like you are going to have a fun trip ahead of you. for the gasket set try egg machine company.http://www.egge.com/kits?make=PLYMOUTH
They also make other goodies. As for the carter rebuild kit there is a place called the carburettor shop which make a kit. I am not sure where these places are in relation to your trip.

Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

chetbrz

Ian,

I posted the link you provided for gaskets in the Hard to find parts section on this site.

Tks,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

1929luv

I got mine off of ebay $189.00 us dollars and it was a great set.  They are one there all the time Good luck Craig  What small stuff you  looking for. Im in austin TX area

aussieQ

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replys.

Craig,
I'm looking for the tube that has the spark plug leads running through it, A spare distributer, the mechanism to make the front windscreen up and down, and an original windscreen wiper motor, as well as the gasket kits.

We have just realised that the POC "Heart of America Driving Tour" is on in Kansas City so we have sent in our registration to attend on the four days.

Regards

Gary

Gary 30U

Gary, Hope you have a great trip.

With regard to the windshild mechanism, do you need a complete one, or do you have one to rebuild?

The rebuild I can help you with.

Gaskets are available from Olson's Gaskets, 3059 Opdal Road E., Port Orchard, Washington, 98366 - eMail is info@olsonsgaskets.com

Bob Clark at 105 Wolftrap Road SE, in Vienna, Virginia 22180-4940 may have your carb kit if it is Carter RT-08 or DRT-08. try bobclark2@gmail.com

Gary R., Happy Motoring

aussieQ

Thanks Gary,

I'll follow up the Gasket kits.

With regards to the window winder mechanism, I need the whole thing. The one that was in my vehicle was totally different and there wasn't any way to connect it to the glass. It looked like a previous owner had the intention of adapting it but nver got that far.

Regards

Gary S

Tinkeys

I have a spark tube holder from a 30u ,which I am assuming is the same as what you require 
Cheers Tony Keilor Melb.Vic.

Gary 30U

Not really sure about the export cars, but think the 28 & 29 cars had a straight tube spark plug wire holder and the 30U had one that curved down toward the distributor.  (Note: the curved one has one of the holders that go to the head bolt missing, and that it is a little longer toward the back or fire wall than the straight one)

Gary R., Happy Motoring

imoore

The Qs and Us both use the curved tube. Well the 1928 book shows this and so does the 1929 book
Hope this helps
Ian

1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

Tinkeys

I have the curved tube spare if your need one cheers Tony !

Gary 30U

Did a little more digging into my Parts book.
It lists part number 71028 for the Q after RW-167-P (US built) and GP-323-D (Canadian built)
And part number 301090 for the U.
Not sure if that is the difference between straight and curved of maybe straight used on the old Maxwell engine.

Gary R. - Happy Motoring

1929luv

here is the e-bay number for the gasket set they have gone up to 215 and change.  ebay Item number: 170851845438
  good luck Craig

aussieQ

Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't replyed to all your recent posts so I'll answer each in this.

Craig,
Thanks  for the ebay listing for the gasket set. I had seen this. I was also a bit unsure as to the Quality. it appears to be for a few different years starting at 1929 so I wasn't sure if it had all the correct gaskets for the Q. Thanks anyway for that.

Ian,
i have been in contact with Olsen gaskets, actually I had previously spoken to them, but i had forgotten. Their Engine rebuild gasket kit is currently $197.50. i'll get it sent to a relative in the states and pick it up from them during my trip.

Gary R & Ian
Thanks very much for the reserch. I haven't seen the straight tube used in Australia (although maybe I just haven't come across the right cars). I'm happy to use a curved tube. pretty much garintee no one else here in Australia would query it even if it were wrong.

Tony,
The curved one sounds good. What do you want or it? i was going to try and catch up with you anyway. I see your also a member of the Chrysler Restorers Victoria. I'll have to come over and check out your cars.

Thanks to everyone or your replys.

Tinkeys

I can bring the curved spark wire holder to home in Melbourne or to Chrysler Restorers Club  it's up to you !
It even still has old spark wires in it ,but they are not usable tube is good.
Next. Meeting is 3 Friday of the month  20th July . Or email me tsscapri@yahoo.com   Mob.0428990365
Cheers Tony.