• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Kingpin question... Watch video please...

Started by 29 doUg, July 20, 2009, 10:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

29 doUg

Until now, I have never owned a vehicle with kingpins and I am always hearing about owners of antique cars speaking of them. What are the symptons of the need to replace them?

chetbrz

Doug,

As you know a King pin is the same as a hinge pin.  Excessive wear would cause similar problems as bad ball joints in a modern car.  Incorrect wheel camber would produce excessive tire wear.  If you have the front wheels off the ground you should not have excessive horizontal movement.  I have not owned a car with excessively bad king pins but I could imagine that you might feel the wheel shift when turning or it might pull to one side or the other.  I think angular tier wear would be a good clue.

My 2 cents...

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29 doUg

Thanks, Chet. I will never drive the car enough to deduce tire wear, but I had checked the wheel play with the axle on jackstands last week. Doing that is what prompted to ask you guys. The right side wheel had no play, the left side had a little, I didnt measure it. I guess I could double-check that the axel nut has the bearings up snug, but it is minimal and I dont believe it to be any problem. No shifting on turns.

29 doUg

Okay, I thought maybe my U had sensitive steering. I have decided its just sloppy. Very sloppy. I made a short video if you guys could watch it.

The steering wheel has a lot of play, about an 1/8 of a turn while sitting. With the front end raised, while grabbing the tires on the sides and wiggling, there is substantial play. Is it the kingpin(s), tie rod, tie rod ends? I dont think this excessive play is normal and I am very open to suggestions.

Here's the video and thanks a million! (Sorry, the production values are less than stellar using a camera the size of a credit card, held with one hand while wiggling with the other!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvBMimqrdoQ

chetbrz

Doug,

I haven't fooled with these adjustments but in my Plymouth Instruction Book pages 54 to 59 there is a good explanation of the steering system.   I think you would be interested in page 59.   Drag Link and steering Gear endplay adjustments.    If you have the time you might want to review the entire steering assembly to determine if your play is because of one thing or the cumulative result of a number of small issues.  If you can some how lock the steering arm coming from the steering box you may be able to determine if your steering gears need to be adjusted. 

My 2 cents,  PS if you don't have this book I will do an OCR of the text and post it in the Technical Info section of this forum.

Good Luck,  Chet...

By the way, great video...

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29 doUg

Thanks for the input! I do have the manual and will check it out as it does seem more likely to be one or more of these steering components.

I got to thinking that if it were the kingpins, there would be some visible movement around them and the I-beam. There is none, they seem to be tight.

I'll give you a report after I get a chance to check it out. Thanks again!

Rusty

I have taken out my kingpins as I had a lot of movement of the spindle to axle.  www.rareparts.com  does nothing but old suspensions parts.  I had to mail mine off to them so they could match them.  I did get a call today that they could and will be mailing them off tomrroww.  I will let the forum know if they fit, which part number to order from them in the future but I do need a favor.  Could someone take a quick look at there kingpins to see if the bearing (1/2 inch thick) is on the top or bottom of the spindle.  I believe they were on the top of my spindle but now I doubt myself.  I did not take a photo.    thanks rusty

chetbrz

Rusty,

Item 26 The Thrust bearing goes on the top.  Is this what you were looking for ?

Item 27 is a shim.

Chet...

Rusty

thanks,  that is exactly what I needed to see.  rusty