• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Carriage bolts on ends of bumpers

Started by 29UJohn, February 15, 2014, 06:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29UJohn

How are the carriage bolts on the ends of the bumpers kept from turning?  Are they just a friction fit?  Tried to remove them, got the nut off one but cannot get the bolt out.  The carriage bolt on the other end turns when I turn the nut. Do not want to damage them by gripping with channel locks, and do not want to cut them off.  After 42 years I would like to have the bumpers chromed, but do not want to damage anything getting  them apart.  Any experience with this or suggestions for removing? 

John
1929U 4 Dr

racertb

Hi John:

When I had my bumpers re-chromed a couple years ago, I didn't really have an issue, but when I got the nuts off, I tapped on them with punch/Phillips screw driver from underneath to get them out.  You might try spraying some PB Blaster or equivalent to loosen them up.  If the nut on one of them is frozen and turns with the screw, you may have to use Channel locks or maybe apply some heat.

Also, I got new carriage bolts at Lowes and had them chromed as well.  When I re-installed, I used rubber washers top and bottom so I wouldn't mess up the chrome on the bumpers.

Ted

Old Man

There is no non destructive way to deal with carriage bolts that turn in position when you try to undo them. I keep a Dremel tool around with lots of cutoff discs handy for this job. I side cut the nuts at a 45 degree angle then take a cold chisel and split the nut from the side. You may have to do this on 2 sides but this is the only way I've found to remove the nut without damaging the bolt head. Tape the bolt head tight with Duct tape or such to keep it from rotating while you cut the nut apart.  Obviously you do not want to cut the nut so deep as to cut into the threads. However a slight nick in the threads is not a disaster.   

Gary 30U

The bumper bolts on the end (at least on my 30U) were not really carriage bolts. They have a dimple out one side directly under the head. This dimple lines up with the notch created when the bumper is wrapped around. This keeps the bolt from turning. If your bolt turns you can cut the nut as previously noted, or the parts store will sell you a nut breaker which is just a chisel head in an enclosed circle that you can turn in with a wrench to break the nut. Didn't explain it very well but you get the idea.

If you bolts are like mine they have the rather thick flattened head rather than being rounded like a carriage bolt. I don't know of any source for replacement originals. I thought about taking some longer bolts, having the heads turned down and having them chromed, but just settled on some Ford bumper bolts off of eBay. Make sure the lenght is correct, as there are sever different lenghts, and they ae just one size smaller than the originals. Not sure but if I remember ours are 9/16" and the Ford was 1/2", but could be wrong.

Happy Motoring,

Gary R.

29UJohn

Thanks guys!
Picked up a nut splitter at AutoZone.  Worked like a champ.  Thanks!
Got new nuts from BoltDepot.
Front Bumpers are now at Dan's Polishing and Chome in Adamsville, Tenn.
John
1929U 4 Dr