• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Put 45 miles on the 29 and have a few questions. ???

Started by chetbrz, May 30, 2007, 09:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

Since I have little operational experience with a 1929 Plymouth I was curious about a few things.

Question 1: This drive was a 28 mile run driving at an average of 45mph with few stops.

As learned earlier the radiator doesn't stay filled to the top and will find it's own level.  I didn't have an apparent problem with over heating but it was an 85 degree day and the last 15 miles it appeared that the engine sounded like it was running hot.   I can't explain the sound just a familiar sound of a block running hot.  The next day I could only fit in a Quart of water which quickly spilled out once the engine got hot.

The radiator was cool on the bottom and hot on the top upon completion of the run which I believe is normal.  Does this sound normal and if not will adjusting the timing help. ?

Question 2:  Noise in the bell housing:

The bell housing sounds like it has marbles bouncing around inside.   The noise doesn't appear to be coming from the engine and was there prior to changing the transmission.  I didn't find anything loose and kinda suspect the clutch arm in the bell housing vibrating or the throw-out bearing bouncing on the clutch arm that depresses the pressure plate. ???    Anybody have any ideas?

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member