• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Misc stuff this summer

Started by frankp, July 04, 2014, 03:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankp

Thanks, Ted.  I appreciate your posting these.

A local community sponsors a summer get together with all sorts of family events.  The highlight for vintage car enthusiasts is the New London to New Brighton car run.  Only automobiles made from 1916 or older can participate. 

They expect about 75 participants and motor bikes are there, too.  Regardless the number, it is fun to watch them cross the finish line.  Many are parked afterwards for a closer look.

( lost some text 1st time)
frank p

29plycoop

Is there a paint or coating that can be put on the brake fluid can that will not come off from brake fluid getting on it?  Seems like after a while the seams leach fluid, or when filling fluid gets on it and the paint peels off. Any ideas out there? - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

chetbrz

Quote from: 29plycoop on August 06, 2014, 10:18:46 PM
Is there a paint or coating that can be put on the brake fluid can that will not come off from brake fluid getting on it?  Seems like after a while the seams leach fluid, or when filling fluid gets on it and the paint peels off. Any ideas out there? - Rich

Rich,

I used the stuff below both on my 48 Plymouth gas tank and the 29's brake fluid can.  So far around 8 years and no problems.

Here is the link to the repair in 2005

http://www.1948plymouth.info/1948p15/reports/20045/09182005.htm

I am sure you can Google it for specifications.  Once dry I believe it is impervious to chemicals.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29plycoop

Thank you for the reply for treating the inside of a brake fluid can. Is there a paint or coating for the outside that will stay?  - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

frankp

Rich, I don't know of any paint that regular fluid won't eat.  I have the same problem.  I do try to keep the level in the reservoir no more than 2/3 full.  Seems to help.

Here are pictures from the Official Roster of the vintage cars from last Saturday.  It was sprinkling and I didn't take my camera, but you can get the idea.  If you think we have problems with oil leaks, you should see what these owners have to endure.

frank p

frankp

frank p

frankp

Finally got the brake reservoir decal and applied.  I think it looks pretty good.

Drove about 40 miles to a Threshing show on Saturday that Dave readied his car to attend. I'll post a few pics on separate thread.  Trip there was uneventful.  On the way home was a different story.  Fuel and carb problems.  Never had the idle adjustment screw vibrate loose to lean the mixture.  I may need a new spring to keep it in the correct place.  Learn more all the time.

frank p

Bearings 46

The Red Flag Horseless Carriage Tour  in SE Iowa is similar to the MN event - cars that you will not see at any other event will be doing 3 days of touring. September 24 - 27, 2014 - New London to Brighton, IA  www.redflagmotortour.com

frankp

I hope they have many participants.  That would be fun to see, also.  Thanks for the link.  frank
frank p