• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Radiator cap question

Started by GS Dan, May 09, 2012, 01:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GS Dan

Gentlemen,
Recently I found a far less than perfect example of a winged radiator cap on ebay. Luckily for me the seller did not even know what it fit on. However I did know what it belonged on, only after hours of looking at a perfect example that I took photos of at the Walter P. Chrysler museum! I realise what I purchased could probibly only be used as a casting but I still feel fortunate to have it. It really shows the rareity of our cars and the even scarcer parts!
Now for my question: Did the winged cap only come on the De Luxe Coupe Model or was this an option on any Plymouth? Could someone educate me on this topic?

chetbrz

I am reasonably sure that these caps were used on all models 1928/29.  I think the new style 1930 U had a different mascot.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

GS Dan

Chet,
Thanks for the info. I always learn something from this site!

Dan

Sebastiano

I have here just from an old car
I found one like that in Paris some years ago.
regards
Sebastiano
Sebastiano - Italy
owner a Ply 29U Touring & P8, De Luxe Coupè R/S

GS Dan

Sebastiano,
Nice find!!!!! The cloisonne radiator badge is in decent shape as well...
Take care

Old Man

The '28 and '29 Plymouths used the same winged Viking Helmet cap. It was an option but I suspect every car came with one. They were usually about $2. The 30U had a plain cap with a single wing in the center. The '31s had the Flying Lady or Mermaid which remained on until the 1934 used the chrome ship in profile. Both these '28/'29 caps in the photos have the same problem that they all eventually had, the wings are broken off. Repros are available and I would hustle and get one before the guys making them aren't around anymore. The rad medallion is in good shape and I would just like to point out that the medallion is NOT chromed.They are plain copper or brass and stayed that way until the end of '33 as far as I know. Many owners are chroming these medallions because they think the chrome has worn off. It has not. If you think about it,a chromed medallion would visually disappear into chrome of the rad shell. Something Chrysler would not want. This includes the side mount medallions and rear tire cover medallions. All were plain copper or brass. They appear to have changed to brass in 1931 as the base metal. But I'm not certain.        

Doug

30U also had a had a 2 wing cap

Old Man

As far as I know this is the only cap for a 30 U. Unfortunetly the Plymouth Master Parts List only discusses rad medallions and the rad ornament for the '33 PC. The photos I have in my source are very poor b+w. But the 28s and 29s 'appear' to all have the Viking Helmet cap and the 30Us all have some kind of lower design. Which I assume is this cap. Does someone have a source of Plymouth rad caps?  

Gary 30U

I'm no expert, but the only cap that I have ever seen as "correct" for the 30 is that one that OLD MAN shows in the brouchure picture.

Gary R - Happy Motoring

Doug

The two wing cap was on an UN restored early 30U and still owned by the same family that purchased it new. I have seen some others, Do not know if Plymouth offered different caps. I do know there are several differences in Early 30U and later ones. If I found a cap like that for sell I would use it.   

Quote from: Doug on October 15, 2012, 03:00:40 PM
30U also had a had a 2 wing cap
This is definitely a 29/30 Dodge DA rad cap as well. Don't know anything about it being a Plymouth cap but I know very little about Plymouth
Jason Anderson

Doug

There is a 30U Roadster on ebay. It has the double wing radiator cap. That is the third one I have seen on 30Us. If it was aftermarket, must have been a popular item to have lasted this long.

frankp

Doug, from the pictures, that is a nice looking roadster and nice price, too.

Old Man, caps for sale: Don Summer, 105 Kinross, Clawson MI, 48017.  248.435.6115 or 435.2916 no web or email.  From "The Plymouth Bulletin" Parts Reproducers section.

Advertising 28-29, 31-32 parking cap; 31-32 goddess; 33 goddess (lock-on) and hood ornament; 34 & 35 ship.  Did not list a 30, but might be worth a call.  I bought one for 29.  Very nice, and you pay for it!

frank
frank p

Tinkeys

I agree with old man all the Australian 30U Plymouths had the single wing !
Not to say that if there is a better looking cap available when car was new the owners could have easily changed it , still think  that single wing  is 100% original for 30U.

When the cars were knew you could have purchased any accessory or ordered any item that you would have wanted. The double wing is a Dodge item.
Jason Anderson