• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

over charging

Started by Rusty, August 22, 2011, 08:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I took my 29 which normally charges about 10 for a while then backs down.  Tonight, it charged at 15 to almost 20 the entire time it was running.  At idle , she charged at 10.  The battery is new and it took almost no time at all cranking so it is not like I killed the battery getting it started.  I rebuilt the generator myself .  I bought a generator lathe off ebay and cut down the shafts and put in new brushes about 100 miles ago.  I looked at the manuel and it states you can turn down the charging but not sure why it started to charge more on the gauge.
any ideas where I should start checking??
rusty

Tinkeys

Hi Rusty !
I don't now a lot about generators but i read about a third brush inside can alter output  and generator cut out box may need attention on firewall !
Best to leave some things to someone that knows just my thought.

Doug

I believe you can tell more about your charging system by checking the voltage at the battery.  All the amp gauge is showing is that it is charging and any resistance in the wiring could cause a higher reading.

1929luv

You can run the third brush away down I belive and it will lesson the charge and you wunt it around 8-10 no more tha it will get to hot.  You move it one way and watch your gage after and see if you went tthe right way.  I beilve it to be down.  But check.  Mine was wired wrong and I chenge them up mine was charging 50 amps and started metling. Good luck chances are it slipped.  Craig