• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Barn Find 29U in Minnesota

Started by frankp, August 28, 2013, 06:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankp

Hi all,

Wasting time yesterday morning, decided to google 1929U Plymouth for sale.  Lo and behold, a 4dr sedan is in Rogers, Minnesota, about 30 minute drive from the ranch in the cities.  Ellingson Classic Auto Sales.  (if I knew how to post a link, I would)

Drove to view to see if really was original, Yes it is, BUT many custom items also: Homemade trunk rack with wood 2x4 support, defrost fan clamped to the steering wheel, radio antenna mounted in center of cowl, just behind hood - quite a sight!

Very exciting to see what appears to be an original upholstered interior and top fabric!  My picture taking skill was terrible and many pics weren't recorded.  The light was very poor and flash needed for every pic.  (You know, blame the tools)

Asking price is $3950.  Doesn't run, needs distributor base at least. was told it is not frozen.  coil is not in dash, but appears there are 2 in the back seat.  Air in all 4 tires, spare rim in the back seat.  A relative early production model in May 1929,  RS710D.

I wanted to get the engine number, but did not have a flashlight.  If anyone has questions, try my best to answer.

frank

frank p

Old Man

Nice to see another original come out in the light. Those distributor bases were pot metal and are now disintergrating with age. I believe they are reproduced by an outfit in Australia? The radio antenna in 1929 was under the passenger running board. I have a vacuum operated Trico defroster fan on my steering column. They were made in Buffalo Ny. and are quite common up here.(The plant is right beside the I90 southbound from the Canada/U.S. border. Still said TRICO on it up until a few years ago. Think it's closed now.) If you can't get one of the coils to work you can use any 6 volt coil for now. I've been known to use a Volkswagen Bosch coil. I believe VW was positive ground like our Plymouths. It works quite well. The price seems to be  very good. But give us some more photos if you want us to critique it for you. It sounds like something I would buy if I were starting over.   

chetbrz

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

Thank You Chet!

From these pictures the placement of the radio antenna is obvious.  My junk yard antenna was strapped to the firewall using fuel line bracket bolt.  Not about to make extra hole in body!  When the hood went on, radio was out of there.

Thanks for the info Old Man.  This defrost fan was electric.  As much as I might like to have another, that is not in the cards.  Now, if a roadster, that would require serious negotiation with wife!  There are definitely a few parts I would pay to get my hands on, however.  This car is in much better overall condition than mine when purchased.  Exception is passenger side front and rear fenders will require serious work on out side edge.

frank
frank p

Old Man

The photos ARE better than a thousand words. Yes the fan is 6 v. electric and post WWII. It's the rubber bladed one that didn't require a shield. In fact most it's likely out of the 50s. Gives you some idea of when the car was still on the road in possible daily use. It's in much better shape than many barn finds today.  Wives always think we're insane when they see our treasures in their original condition. But when the car is restored and it's on it's way to a show or parade, they're up front riding shotgun with a smile on their faces. Seen it,been there.     

frankp

This is said to be a one owner car or family, at least.  The history in the car and how it was modified through the years for practicality or comfort is quite interesting.  From the home fabricated trunk, which looked good, but made reading the gasoline gauge impossible and filling the tank a real challenge; to the defrost fan, radio, and I believe there was a heater in there somewhere.

Ah yes, O. M. as boys will be boys, wives will be there when you need them - mostly.
frank p