• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Exhaust manifold leak

Started by imoore, June 12, 2014, 06:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imoore

Hi guys.
So for some time i have suffered from the exhaust manifold gasket blowing itself to pieces.
After the 4 gasket i decided to investigate the problem.
I found that when the exhaust and intake manifold were together the was a 2-3mm variation in the mounting face.
So i took the manifolds to several machine shops, all quotes me between $350-400.
I was not prepared to pay that so i began setting out a way to do it myself.
First step was to helicoil the exhaust manifold so i could clamp both together. A 10mm x 1.25 helicoil kit fits perfectly into the factory holes.
I then clamped the exhaust manifold port side down and faced it clean taking 20thou off to straighten.
I then used the carby flange and mounted the intake manifold to a 6mm thick angle piece.
You can see this step in the photo.
I made sure it was all level and square with the mills bed
Using a fly cutter i cleaned up the surface. Again taking 20thou off.
I then placed a gasket in the middle and bolted the exhaust manifold onto the inlet.
Then again faced off all the port in line taking 3mm off inlet port and about 30thou of exhaust ports
I then removed helicoils, made new gaskets.

Took for a spin round the block all is well. Time will tell.
But very easy work and cost me $60 for the helicoil kit and 3hours.

Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

chetbrz

Ian,

It must be nice having a surface grinder in the shop.  Nice job,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Old Man

Not sure if I got it right. But wouldn't a second exhaust gasket had cured it or have I got the wrong outlet that was too far away from the block?   

imoore

Yeh i have tryed 2 gaskets. Different thickness gaskets. Exhaust glue.
All they did was made it last another drive. But sure enough it would still blow.

aussieQ

Hi Ian,

Sounds like you have solved the problem and saved yourself a cool 350 bucks. Well done!
From the photo the milling machine, looks like it is against the wall of a new shed. Have you finally got your big shed up?
You missed a good night on Friday.
Regards

Gary S

imoore

Hey gary.
Yeh the shed is up. Not finished but its up. No proper driveways to it either. Turns into a nice mud pit when it rains.  I have, as of last night moved into my bed room. After 8months or so in the van.
Yeh sorry i could not make it. I was house sitting from thursday. I am struggling to make it to any meeting. They seem to fall on the wrong date. But i need to get down to pay fees.
I might have to post it in.