• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Shock Absorbers

Started by seasand, March 03, 2015, 04:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seasand

My 29 U has what I would call the rudiment of shock absorbers. Has anyone worked on or rebuilt them?

rwollman

:)are these the delco remy lever type w/ straps attached and are they frozen up?

SteveG

Did the '28 Q have shocks?
SteveG

Old Man

When I had my '29U a guy who really knew his cars and Plymouths,told me the little 'reverse springs' on the top of the main springs were the shock absorbers. There is one under each spring bolt at about the middle of the spring ends. They look like miniature leaf springs. They were meant to modify the spring rate,slow it down or speed it up,I'm not sure.   

seasand

The type that I'm inquiring about are the lever type with straps. They are not frozen but don't seem to be doing any good.

rwollman

ok - remove from vehicle and take the cap off the top by removing the two screws.  Probably stuck on with gasket.  When u do this the lever will come up and may become lodged in the top of the casting.  No big deal as you can push it back with a large screwdriver.  Remove the plug on the bottom side of the shock housing.  You will find a small piston and spring behind it.  Make sure that the holes in the piston valve are clean.  Flush everything out with kerosene while working the lever up and down to get the crud out.  Put the valve and spring back in with a new red fiber gasket on the cap.  I filled mine with transmission oil up to the point where the linkage will dip into the oil when depressed about 1/4 way down.  A new made gasket for the top and you should be ready to put back on.  See if this helps your shocks.  GOOD LUCK   

seasand

Thanks, I'll let you know how it works out.