• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

DRT -08 Carter carbueter idle not good !

Started by Tinkeys, September 17, 2011, 07:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkeys

Have this issue idling , when cold engine idles smooth ,after 5 or so min. Engine begins to misfire ,I have since adjusted valves which did have intakes to tight , this made things better  as cold idle was rough, distributor was then rebuilt this improved idle even more still develops uneven running only at idle, next tried to tune Carter and found that air screw in or out makes no difference also with choke lever all the way down engine will not start. Have taken bowl of carby to check for blockage all seems ok ???

Tinkeys

Found problem for rough idle this weekend it turns out the carby had a broken and missing idle jet , i discovered this by pulling apart 2 cafbueters so I made 1 out of 2
Now the old girl will idle down to  cranking speed and smooth !
The car is just getting better all the time.

chetbrz

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

wellery

Well done Tony - you are a man of many talents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tinkeys

Not so many talents (wellery) now that carby idles good will take full load wide open but is way too lean at cruise still requires choke out for cruiseor part throttle so my guess is must have wrong size jets for intermediate . Really need to get a book on brass bowl carters with jet sizes too eliminate the guess work