• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Clutch related question.

Started by Russ T. Fender, February 18, 2021, 10:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ T. Fender

The mechanical illustration of the clutch assembly for the 30-U shows a spring that appears to hang from the clutch housing assembly (bell housing) and would be held in place by the inspection cover.  It is not identified in the parts listing and you can't tell where the other end of the spring is attached from thempicture.  I am thinking it attaches to the small hole in the clutch release bearing sleeve next to the hole for the clutch release bearing sleeve guide.  Oddly, the spring was not on my car when I removed the clutch assembly and the hole in the clutch bearing release sleeve that goes over the guide is wallowed out, possibly because there was no spring.  Can anyone confirm my suspicion and suggest a spring that would be appropriate.  Thanks.

Articifer Tom

Well lucky we have the clutch guru here CHET  ;D . He'll help with sizing . But your correct it is return spring from bearing holder to hole in inspection opening
    Mine is correctly attached to nut and bear guide rod . It is to troublesome to remove . I am not sure if correct either . But look like 12 to 13 coils . wire size and overall length will be needed from guru C . I donot think it is that critical as strength ,need only pull back reesure to keep bearing from riding and spinning againt clutch , thus slowing wear on . 

chetbrz

Tom, I am far from a guru more like a yahoo.   

Actually I may disappoint you here.  I have used a spring in the past only to find it missing when in the clutch area again.  After my clutch explosion caused by centrifugal force moving the clutch arms outward without a throw out bearing to stop them, I decided that I would ensure and equal adjustment of the arms and forget the spring.  I am not recommending anything just stating what I did and will live with the consequences.  Yes the spring helps move the bearing away from the arms but I think the arms will find the bearing anyway.  My 2.5 cents.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

Looking at the parts illustrations it looks like the Q and U spring is set up differently than the 30-U but the purpose of the spring is the same. To add to my confusion it appears that I have a PA-PB pressure plate.  Apparently they are interchangeable since I drove with it that way for more than 10 years.  Thanks for the input.

Articifer Tom