• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Misc stuff this summer

Started by frankp, July 04, 2014, 03:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

Nice work Frank,  Enjoy the rest of the summer behind the wheel.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

Thanks, Chet.

On my to do list is to coat the inside of the vac tank.  I've seen a kit at an independent auto store for motorcycle tanks that should be ample.  It has a small leak that is mostly annoying than anything.  Then it will get a coat of black paint.  Using Dave's car as a guide, the wiring to the brake lamp switch will be re-done.  Oh how I enjoy soldering.  Still need to install the hand throttle clip and spring.  This weekend a neighbor observed I spend more working on it than driving, sad, but true in the recent past.  Good thing doing some of these things is a bit satisfying.

I'm having the brake can decal replicated.  Expect to have within next 2 weeks.  I'm hoping for the best.  The extras will be for sale, if they look good.
frank p

racertb

The pin stripes on the wheel looks nice...did you do this with a steady hand?

frankp

Yes, a steady hand and a sharp knife!  It is 3M tape, Tomato Red.  Closest thing to a Vermillion (orange red) that was on the shelf.
frank p

racertb

Frank, did you check Jim Osborn Reproductions about the brake canister/reservoir decal?  I put one on mine and it looks pretty good.  The price wasn't too bad and ordered a couple extras just to have them.

frankp

I looked at their web catalog last week and they did not have it.  I missed the boat.  If I may ask, is it like a model decal or vinyl sticker and what did they charge?
frank p

racertb

Frank, I'll look in the garage later and get the information.  Their site gave me a part number at the time but not much else and I ended up calling and ordering over the phone.  They came in 2-3 days. 

Ted

SteveG

Quote from: frankp on July 27, 2014, 11:14:05 PM
Finally have all tires mounted and the rear back on the ground.  Painted the transmission shift assembly and hand brake.  Re-worked battery box cover.  Want to clean front end a bit more before taking off the stands and going for a drive.  (Dave is making tremendous progress with his car)

Frank,

Your wood spokes look terrific. What did you use to refinish them?

SteveG

frankp

Thanks for looking, Ted.

Thanks, SteveG.  I brushed at least 4 coats of spar varnish.  Sanded in between as per the directions.  I believe the mfg was Minwax.  I used the spar as it is made for outside use with UV inhibitors, as they say.
frank p

chetbrz

Quote from: frankp on July 28, 2014, 10:53:06 AM
I'm having the brake can decal replicated.  Expect to have within next 2 weeks.  I'm hoping for the best.  The extras will be for sale, if they look good.

Hay Frank, keep me in the loop for one of the extra decals.  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

Happy to Chet.  I'll post pic and any pertinent details.

Went for a few mile drive yesterday.  Fun to be back on the road until the 4-way stop.  Pushed in the clutch and it quit!  Dire thoughts entered feeble mind.  Hit the starter and started right away.  Drove the 2 miles home with no issues.  Whoeth knoweth??

Noticed the speedometer is sticking at 0 when starting.  Get to about 10 mph and it spins up.  Of course it wasn't acting this way in the spring.
frank p

racertb

Frank and anyone else interested in the decals:

Jim Osborn Reproductions  770.962.7556

Part #DD0624   1925-28 Chrysler Lockheed Brake Decal

$6 each plus shipping.  I can take a photo if interested..

Ted

ski

I'd like to see a photo Ted.

ski

frankp

Thanks for the info, Ted.  Is it a water based decal or a vinyl type?

I too would like to see a photo, but I don't know if would run afoul of copyright law unless if in on your reservoir.

As far as my reproduction efforts, they will continue.  I'm committed like the chicken at the chicken dinner.

frank
frank p

racertb

These are not water based, but just a peel a stick: