• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Tire Mounting

Started by Fendermender, September 25, 2010, 01:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fendermender

Wheels and rims are all done, spokes re-finished and put back together (what a knightmare :))
Anyway they look great.

Now I have a question and hopping someone has experienced this.

What is the procedure for mounting the tire on the rim??? ???
I have the special tool for spreading the split rim.
Thanks

chetbrz

- Compress the split rim
- Mount the tire & tube
- Expand the split rim
- Fill with air

Just an FYI, artillery wheels are made from kiln dried hickory.  Once the wheel is put together the center is drilled to ensure a tight fit.  The hub is then press fitted into the wheel.  Once the wheel is introduced back into a humid environment the wood expands and really tightens the wheel.  If you can remove the spokes and reinstall them and also reinstall the hub without the aid of a press, I would think that your wheels were a little loose to begin with.  Just an FYI.., I know people take these wheels apart to refinish the spokes.   What I don't know is how well the wheels work, under normal driving conditions, after the disassembly process.  Especially doing 40 mhp on a sharp turn.

Good luck,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Gary 30U

Just a comment about wood spoke wheels - most specifically loose spokes. One of the rear wheels on my car had really loose spokes (rust and dust lines showing on the ends of the spokes and from around the hub). I took the wheel and brake drum off the car thinking that tighened the nuts holding the drum to the spokes might help. NO help.

I remembered the old story about parking in the creek. Well it works. I took the wheel and stuck it in a big tub of water for about 18 hours. When I took it out the spokes were as tight as could be.

A few days after doing this I was talking to a friend that works for a local Fire Department and found that they have an old engine with wood wheels. Part of his regular job when he is on duty on either Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday is to take the squirt bottle and wet down the spokes on the old engine. Note: he works every third day. So each week the wheels get wet down and they say they have never had any problems with them.

My car has made it thought the summer and the spokes are still tight and no signs of paint loosening or flakeing. May have to try the squirt bottle trick.

Gary

Fendermender

Hi guys and thanks.
Yup these spokes had to be pressed on. I redid the hub and  the felloe and tightened each wheel.

Allso installed new bolts and nuts + put new expansion packing between each spoke if they get wet they will yell ::)

How many pictures are we allowed to post at a time?  When I get it figured out I will post a few.

I made new hindges and pins for the rims and welded them on (the hindges that is)

I blasted and painted the rims with Por 50 rust paint let them cure, sanded then sprayed them with Centari high gloss Acrylic enamel.

Made new rubber boots for the rims out of high quality rubber roofing.

Hopefully ::) I won't get a flat for a while.

Cheers people
OK Found out how many pictures are allowed

Rusty

I have the paint removed from my spokes.  Would linseed oil work just as well as water and protect the wood??
rusty

Fendermender

Hi Rusty,
Over time, water is leathal to wood.
That's just the way it is. It is hygroscopic meaning it takes on and gives off moisture.

Eventually whatever is put on there will come off with the moisture.
I coated mine with Minwax Helmsman Urethane and left the niples at the felloe exposed.
Eventually these will peel and have to be re-coated but in the meantime they do look good.

Cheers