General Category > General Discussion

I need some advise...

<< < (31/32) > >>

kimmc:
Well, today I got a good lick in on working on the top wood repair of the '29.  Finally made up my mind how I was going to go about it and started taking things apart.  I removed the top bows (4); laminating them with 1/8" plywood will be easier now.  Then I removed the heavy wood piece that supports the top rear of the cab above the rear window.  Had to use the sawzall to cut some wood screws that were installed before the sheet metal was applied so that was the only recourse.  That let me pull that piece out because the right end of it has rotted off.  This also exposed the sheet metal above the rear window making it easier to treat for rust and repaint.  Now, with the bows and rear beam gone (it supports the back end of the top slats), I have better access to the right rear corner where the dry rot is.  I'll post some pictures; it may take 2 posts.  At least I feel like I made some progress today, even if things are still being taken apart and not yet going back together! 

kimmc:
3 more pics to go with my previous post...

kimmc:
Well, some progress, but slow.  Milled one of the new wood pieces I need using a small table saw, a bench belt sander and a hand-held belt sander.  I am satisfied with the piece; I just haven't drilled the screw holes to secure it.  I am waiting to get everything together and then will dry fit the parts before making any necessary final modifications to the new replacement parts.  The 1/8" plywood strips are drawn on the sheet stock and ready to cut out but blade broke on the bench-top band saw so I have to make a trip to the store to find a new one.  I have 2 more parts to mill; maybe these will go a little faster now that I've got some experience with the finished one.  Not easy...nothing is square as the pictures show...lots of angles and compound curves.  But it's only wood for the concealed top structure so it doesn't have to be perfect, just solid enough to hold the fabric top in place and to provide base for attachment of the interior fabric.  I am attaching a picture of the completed piece (along with the matching piece from the left side and the rotted piece I'm replacing) and the next one to mill (along side the glued-up blank stock).  Life is good!  mc

kimmc:
Got the new band saw blade and cut out the large thick corner piece.  Tomorrow I will do some hand-held belt sander work on it to shape it then cut the mortise.  I am leaving the mortise end a little long for now until I fit the various pieces together.  I began to cut out the strips of 1/8" plywood that I will use to reinforce each side of each of 4 bows.  The cutting was going easily compared to the thick corner piece but even though I was being very careful not to stress the blade, it broke again.  That's 2 today...they are just such small blades....I'm not really surprised.  I've got one more and I hope I can finish the plywood strips....6 to go, each 4 ft long.  But, overall it was a good day...not a lot done but progress!

1930:
If it helps than if the Plymouth construction was anything like Graham Brothers truck construction than all of the parts were hand fabricated using various jigs when necessary. My point is that no two pieces were absolutely identical and nothing was perfect.

I get where you are going with this because I have been there. I have had to learn and am still learning that nothing is perfect and good enough just has to be good enough if you want the car done in our lifetimes. From what I see everything you are doing is good enough and above.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version