• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Distributor

Started by imoore, March 18, 2013, 03:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imoore

So i finally decided to get the distributor checked out. Just what i expected the shaft was worn out. this would explain the erratic misfire a idle. So the option i had was to either get the housing machined out and get bushes fitted or have a custom Bosch distributor made up. There was only 100 bucks difference between the too.
I decided to settle on a new Bosch one. With piece of mind that parts are available locally and cheap.
I am getting it done at Performance ignition, Nunawading.

Should get it Wednesday
Will upload a picture when it arrives.

Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

imoore

So i got the new distributor. Looks awesome. If it wasn't for the larger cap it would be identical to original. It fit perfectly.

But unfortunately the misfire is still there. So i can say that at least the ignition side of the engine is in as new or better then new condition. What else could it be? Compression feels ok, but will be putting a gauge at it. The only other thing i can think of is that either the valve guides are worn or maybe weak valve springs. So am going to also but a vacuum gauge on it.
Any other ideas?

Ian

frankp

Hi Ian,

New distributor looks great!

Re: misfire - do you have an Instruction Manual?  They have a good trouble-shooting guide for Engine Misses starting with wiring, plugs, stuck valve/clearance/seat to bad gas, overheating and (of course) carburetor adjustment.

Good luck!
frank
frank p

That is a great looking dist, what did it cost you to have done? I could be wrong but I do not think the same kind of work could have been done here in the U.S so quickly and without breaking the bank.
Jason Anderson

imoore

The distributor cost me 390 including postage. They did very fast work. i rang him monday morning and he told me the bad new about original, so i gave he the go ahead for the new one. I then rang him at lunch time on same day, to give him payment and he said that it was finished. Then i received both back tuesday morning. So am very happy with results and service.
Just for comparison if the original was able to get re bushed, this started at 200.

They even riveted the original delco badge on it for me...
I am sure there would be a company in US that could do this for u.

I havent followed the manual (completely forgot about it actually) and been following what i know. Will certainly have a look now.
the thing thats annoying me is its a random miss. And i cant seem to narrow down to a specific cylinder.
Ian

aussieQ

Hi Ian,

The Bosch dizzy looks good. Just out of interest do you know the serial number of it?

With regards to your engine miss. The last time we were looking at your engine you showed me your loose spark plug connections, before you go too far with other things try closing the gap between the "duck bill terminals" you have attached to the spark plugs IE. put a washer between the attaching nut and the terminal to tighten the connection and see if that makes any difference. May not work but worth a try.
It's also not good practice to have any loose connections to the spark plugs. Any sparking outside the engine could ignite petrol vapours floating about.

Regards

Gary S

imoore

Hey gary. Unfortunately i don't know the serial number.
I haven't tightened the leads because it was there with original leads. But i will give it a try. You never know it could be something simple. 

Ian

Quote from: imoore on March 20, 2013, 06:46:06 AM
The distributor cost me 390 including postage. They did very fast work. i rang him monday morning and he told me the bad new about original, so i gave he the go ahead for the new one. I then rang him at lunch time on same day, to give him payment and he said that it was finished. Then i received both back tuesday morning. So am very happy with results and service.
Just for comparison if the original was able to get re bushed, this started at 200.

They even riveted the original delco badge on it for me...
I am sure there would be a company in US that could do this for u.

I havent followed the manual (completely forgot about it actually) and been following what i know. Will certainly have a look now.
the thing thats annoying me is its a random miss. And i cant seem to narrow down to a specific cylinder.
Ian
I am quite certain that I could not have that kind of work at that price in that time frame if I were willing to pay twice what you paid.
Jason Anderson

imoore

Oh ok well if any member wants this done i am more then Happy to be a middle man. Just let me know.
The only thing that not new is the drive gear. So just send me your gear and i can use my old distributor for another pattern.
Ian

Tinkeys

A good place to check for missfire will be old leads break down there insulation , even worse if spark leads are in a metal tube , with my 30u I used new copper leads that look like original inside steel tube holder and are working perfect , there are also many other things to check , I would start there .
Cheers Tony

SDGlenn

I'm sure you have checked this, Ian. so maybe nobody thought to mention it.  Spark Plugs (sometimes even a new one could miss) are normally the primary cause for an intermitant or erratic miss. They can play mean tricks on you, from a cylinder oil fouling to a electrical leak through the plug insulator. Otherwise I would agree with Tony, Plug wire problem. Wish you the best luck on finding this problem.
Later,
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

imoore

The plug wires are new. I might chuck another set of plugs in it and see what happens.
Things i have check / replaced.
Plugs
Leads
Dissy
Wiring to coil and dissy
New coil
Mixtures
Valve clearance. Just curious has anyone found a cold setting that works
I have also run the engine in complete darkness to see if amy short circuit is visible.

I also noted that if i retard the timing it seems to go. This is probably due to the engine working so hard to fire.

Tinkeys

Hi Ian !
If you checked all those items then a proper compression test is vital , this could tell which cylinder is down , valves ,rings,head gasket.
Persistence will pay off !  I have been there !
Cheers Tony.

imoore

Yeh. Thats what im thinkin. You cant feel the miss while driving. So will do a comp test and put a vacuum gauge on it. Im hopeing i can find out what it is with out stripping engine. As i have a few events coming up and a long drive to ballarat.

Ian

chetbrz

Just a thought,  I am not sure when this motor was last rebuilt but how are your timing gears (Valve to Crankshaft).  Any significant wear ?

My limited 2 cents,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member