• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

ATT: RH drive plys owners

Started by imoore, June 20, 2014, 07:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imoore

Hi there
Could someone please post a photo of the linkage that goes between steering box and carb. The one that allows you to increase idle via steering wheel lever.
And if possible some measurements as well.

Thanks ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

aussieQ

Hi Ian,

I'll try and take some photos tonight.
It might be easier if you drop in one night on your way home from work. We could mock up some patterns in soft wire to give you something to work with when you get home. Mine worked differently when I replaced the accelerator spring and put another spring under the pedal. I now have to hold the steering wheel lever in place when I increase the revs. When I let go it returns to its idle position. I'm not sure how it should work.

Gary S

chetbrz

Ian,

Here are some pictures starting from the steering wheel side and working around to the carburetor.

Dimensions are approximate.

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

chetbrz

Quote from: chetbrz on June 28, 2014, 11:55:49 AM
Ian,

Here are some pictures starting from the steering wheel side and working around to the carburetor.

Here are the last two.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

aussieQ

Hi Ian,
Seeing Chet's photos made me remember that I was going to take a couple of photos for you. The right hand drive set up for the hand throttle control is a lot simpler than our LH drive friends. Mine is just one rod with a slight bend to clear my drip tray and choke lever.  The connection at the top where the rod connects to the carby is free to slide so the foot accelerator pedal can operate freely regardless of what position the hand throttle is in without changing the hand setting. The first two photos show the overall view of the rod and linkage. The next two show the top where it connects to the carby and then wher it connects to the steering column.
Hope this is some help to you.

chetbrz

On my 29,  The straight shaft on the driver's side goes through the eyelet and is held in position by a bolt on the rear side of the pivot hinge.   When the lever is mover to the start position it moves the valve pivot on the engines water inlet assembly to restrict water flow and help the engine come up to run temperature.  The other side of the pivot shaft also increases the throttle.   The straight rod on the driver's side will slip in the eyelet of the hinged shaft to allow the driver to add more throttle using the foot peddle but the only way to lower the engine speed is to move the throttle lever back to the run position.

This is how my 29 works which may be different on the 28.  I hope this makes sense to you.   Chet...

imoore

That chet and Gary for the info and photos. There is no difference between set up on 28 and 29. Except it is unique to right hand drive vehicles. Due to the steering coloum being on the wrong side but right side and under the carby.
Gary should see u on friday.
Thanks ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine