• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Anyone Home

Started by Gary 30U, December 05, 2011, 08:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary 30U

I know that things are getting cold, and most all our cars are stored away for the winter, but did everyone hibernat like a bear?

Seems like the two primary Plymouth sites are just plain dead at this time.

Happy Motoring,

Gary

29plycoop

ONLY 3 MORE MONTHS OF  SNOWSLEET  and THEN START YOUR ENGINES!!!![/color]To help with the dead forum - my 2 cents is , HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!!  As far as car info, I'm in the middle of refinishing the wheels and rims on my '29 Ply Coupe.  With help of soda blast and bead blast they are bare as a baby's ---,  wood spokes and all.  Have two applications of linseed oil to the spokes and will put at least two more.  As many as it takes before it stops soaking in. Then will clean and refinish back to natural a Golden Oak shade.  I think they are supposed to be black but I prefer natural wood.  There has been discussion for both finishes from time to time but owell.  Then wheels and rims will go with black with pin stripes.  Winters are hell for car crazy people, can't wait for spring. Spring will bring a fresh coat of paint on the rest.  I'll leave room for someone else to throw in some info.  Have a Happy 4 cyl. New Year!!!! - Rich     
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

Tinkeys

Sorry Gary just been busy with heaps of things that have to be done !
Could anyone watch out for a tidy original 34 Plymouth deluxe sedan  just got to have one !
I am still on the hunt !

SDGlenn

We are still at home in "Wintery SD" but no snow yet to speak of. I am also looking for another car to work on this winter, and have not found one yet. Picture of what I did find thou, have been working on that the last few weeks, took a long time to find that also, they are few and far between now days. It is a "Cupalo" for those that may not be familiar with the farm country. They were the ventiation system on top of the old barns in this area. When I get this completed I will post a "completed picture", if anybody is interested.
Later,
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

Tinkeys

looks very interesting Glen, What colour will it be when its finished ?

SDGlenn

Hi Tony, Hope to keep it the original Galvanized, I did find something that is called "Cold Galvanize" paint. I am going to see if that will match up with the "original" color. I have an antique copper "Pheasant" weather vane to put on top. It should top out at about 12 feet tall when finished. I have been having to replace some of the Galvanized that did not hold up to 100 years.lol
Take care,
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

Gary 30U

Hey, there are car guys out there.

Glenn, the Cupolo looks great. I remember seeing lots of them in Montana when I worked on my uncles wheat ranch. But I guess that was more than a couple years ago. A great project.

My winter project is replacing the head on my 30. There is a hairline crack in the side of the water passage between the water outlet and the number 1 spark plug. No problems when it is running, as the heat seems to close up the crack. After I get back home and it is garaged for a couple days I go out and find the indent for the plg full of pretty green water. Always something.

Hope everyone had the Happy Thanksgiving and I'm wishing you a Very Merry Christmas.

Happy Motoring

Gary

SDGlenn

Hey all you car guys, hope you all have a Very Merry Christmas
Finished picture of the cupalo, minus the weather vane yet. I realize this does  not have wheels, but is just as "old" as my Plymouth. lol  I like old things........
Later,
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

Tinkeys

Hi Glen !
One of these would look spectacular as an radiator mascot ! Not to sure about fuel economy though lol !!!

chetbrz

Glenn,

Did these vents have a fan or did they work with natural convection ?

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SDGlenn

Hey Chet. These cupolas have been around since the Roman times, I'm not sure when they started the first ones on the barns. (I think the very first ones on the barns were made of wood) They are definitely convection (hot air rises) (kinda like the first Plymouths cooling system) . I am thinking about putting it on top of my garage, however, SD is a pretty windy state, don't know if it would hold up.... lol
SDGlenn