• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

door handels

Started by Don.F, December 13, 2012, 03:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don.F

Hi All   
can anyone tell me where I might pick up a tool that will remove the inside door handels and window crank handels on my 29 U  Thanks Don

chetbrz

Don,

I have seen a tool for this purpose selling on ebay.   It looks like a 3 prong fork with the middle prong a pin punch.  Don't know if it works or not.  You could probably fabricate something.  A long pin punch and some patience should work.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SDGlenn

I have used everything, from a large soup spoon to a screw driver to force back the compression spring, and a nail, a small screw driver, a pin punch to a ground down punch to fit the hole and (as Chet says "some patience" should work) It is not very diffucult.
Good Luck with that.
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

Old Man

They are very difficult to get off,aren't they? You can buy a punch from Sears Craftsman that does not center punch per se. I believe it's actually called a pin punch. I bought it many years ago for exactly this problem with door handles and other things held on with pins. The Craftsman part # is 42882 WF and the other side says -3/32" . One thing I do remember you will have better luck with 2 people, one pushing like a crazy person on the door panel and one to push out the pin. 

Doug

Here is the tool. My Daddy and Uncles worked in the paint and body business before and after the war. I still have a lot of his tools and use them. I do not know why the little hook slides out of the end but the fork holds the spring back and the center pin pushes the pin out of the hole

Don.F

Thanks everyone for the help and pics , sounds easy enought  Thanks again and happy holidays.  Don