• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Tyres

Started by imoore, June 28, 2012, 06:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Benjaminson

Kelsey Tire is also making the 19" & 20" tires in both black and whitewall.  These are Goodyear in the original design tread pattern.  Original supplier (in the USA) was Fisk in those years with Goodyear becoming the supplier in the early 30's.  Once you have an idea how many tires, tubes, etc., let me give you a quote.  Jim Benjaminson   benji@utma.com

wellery

Jim

Are they the diamond tread ?

Cheers

Wayne

imoore

Hi Jim just send an email.

I looked at their website and they do mention about diamond tread. Here is a link  http://www.kelseytire.com/pages/antique&classictires.html

Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

imoore

I have just sent an email to Old World Lamps and tyres. they are located in mudgee NSW. Hopefully he can help us out.
Ian

wellery

Ian

Great work your doing - if ya need a hand just sing out!!!

Cheers

Wayne

imoore

Ok kelsey tyres dont make a 500/20 but got a reply from the place in NSW.

Lester 525/20              @ $270
Lucas 500/20               @ $280
B F Goodrich 500/20 @ $280

tubes @ $30ea and rustbands for the same $30ea (with the 15 or more tyres)
Plus postage.

It seems that antique tyres in Heidelberg are the best shot.

imoore

It seems 500/20 is an odd size. 3 places i have rung and they say 19 yes, 21 yes but can't help with 20 :(.
Anyways what are your thoughts of antique tyres prices. they have been the cheapest local tyre. Just not so much with tube and band.
It seems that the bulk buy isn't really helping prices much, i think it was a saving of 30 bucks a tyre. Not much at all.

I should be hopefully going down there on friday arvo, after scotts auto rubber.

chetbrz

Coker has 475/500-20 tires starting at $159 each for blackwall.

http://www.cokertire.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=475/500-20

$215 for the large whitewall.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Try Universal Tire Company in Hershey, PA.  That's where I got my Lester tires, tubes, flaps, etc...very happy with them.

imoore

Hi all,
I went an purchased my tyres last week from antique tyres. Sorry Wayne and Gary but i would like to car to be registered in about 2-3 weeks.
I ended up paying $209 tyre, $37 tube, $40 band. They may not be cheap but everywhere else had shipping cost which bring it to about the same cost.
So 5 tyres came to $1400. The only down side was they didn't have 5 tubes, only 2. So i have to wait a month for other 3.
But i am lucky enough that 2 of the tyres are good enough for use.

I ended up getting excelsior branded. Only thing i say about them so fare is the tread width should be a little wider. But time will tell.

Ian

wellery

Ian

You should have rang we would have met you there - sorry for the mess up - but I dont seem to be getting replys from this board.

Cheers

Wayne

PS by the way I suppose you didnt get the message about the spare rim?

imoore

Hi wayne,

I would have rung but i deleted my recent messages etc from my phone. went to call then realised i hadn't saved your number. Could you send me a message again. I did receive a message about the rim, how u were still trying to get it off (this was before i cleared my phone). Once its ready i can come round to pick it up just let me know.

Ian

Jim Benjaminson

Goodyear also makes tires for the 28-29 Plymouths but not the 20" size you mention. 

Old Man

For what it's worth dept.= '28Q and '29U had 20" tires/'30U had 20" wood and later 19" wires /'31PA had 19" wires,the same tire dimensions(5.25-5.50X19") as Ford Model A/'32PB had 18"/'33PC/PD had 17" wires/'34 PE/PF had 16".  Notice the tire size went down an inch a year. (Yes there were other wheel sizes available but these are what came from the factory on day one.) 

29UJohn

I believe our early Plymouth's had Goodyear tires as original equipment.  These have the diamond tread.  Mr Kelsy owns the rights to early classic Goodyear tires.  10 years ago I purchased a set from Kelsey Tires.  However, he has not made any 20 inch tires in years, and only carries them in 19 inch size.
John
1929U 4 Dr