• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Motor Oil?

Started by ALS30U, August 04, 2012, 04:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALS30U

What type of oil do you use in the 30U?
AL

Tinkeys

The book recommends straight 30W , I'm using this in new rebuild 34 Dodge motor after its run-in I will switch to 15w/40 , reason is motor will run- in quicker on straight 30W no friction modifiers
My 30u motor is  old  done a lot of work and I am using 20W/50.
Hope this helps !
Cheers Tony.

imoore

i'm using penrite shelsley medium. Its a sae 40. Bit thicker then spec but the engine has done a few miles and slightly thicker oil will probably do it some good.

Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

chetbrz

It's my opinion that mixed viscosity oils were created to allow good oil flow across extreme hot and extreme cold conditions.   The owner's manual for my 29 suggests SAE 30 for summer driving and SAE 40 for high speed conditions.  For winter SAE 20 is recommended and for temperatures below zero Plymouth recommends diluting the SAE 20 with 5% kerosene to thin it out.  So with that being said SAE 10/40 seems the most likely all weather all season motor oil.  In the old days I would assume that the pre summer oil change would be SAE 30 and the pre winter oil change would be SAE 20.  If we had a real bad cold streak pour in a half pint of kerosene to thin out the oil.   I generally use straight 30.

Cheers, Chet...

PS...   For an old engine I never use detergent oils or any additive designed to clean out your motor.  After so many years without detergents and additives you would not want to loosen up large chunks to sludge that will probably clog up your oil flow.    After a rebuild anything goes.  Just my opinion.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

ALS30U

Just wanted to say thanks for the information.
AL

Tinkeys

Well put Chet !
I wish I could explain things like you do !
I should have asked the question if the engine in question was old or new .
Cheers Tony

chetbrz

Quote from: Tinkeys on August 07, 2012, 03:11:12 AM
Well put Chet !
I wish I could explain things like you do !
I should have asked the question if the engine in question was old or new .
Cheers Tony

Thanks for the kind words but you do just fine.

Cheers, Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member