• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Kingston Vacuum Fuel Canister

Started by SteveG, September 26, 2013, 07:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG

I am attempting to rebuild the fuel canister on my '28.

It seems to be in pretty good shape except for the cork float, that is fuel saturated.
I think the original float was brass or steel.

Can anyone tell me where I can source a replacement float. A metal float would would be best, but may be hard to find.

I can't find a piece of cork big enough.

Do you guys have any advice or ideas?

SteveG

frankp

Steve,

The float in my 29 is cork and I have never replaced it.  Make sure it is not sliding on its brass shaft.  Secured by brass "washers" soldered on the shaft.  Good luck.

frank
frank p

SteveG

Thanx for the reply. Is your canister wrkind good?

I found a site that sells cork in blocks. I will try to carve it.

There is a clear sealer that seals the cork and resists gasoline penetration out there,but lost the name.

Any suggestions?

SteveG

frankp

Steve,

Yes, it works very well.  I have read ethanol dissolves cork.  Maybe I've been lucky, I haven't sealed the vac tank or fuel gauge cork.

frank
frank p

Old Man

Go to a wrecking yard and take a plastic float out of a modern car gas tank. Pick a small compact car that will have the smallest float in it. It will just have to clear the side walls of your vacuum tank. You will have to jerry rig it to your float but I wouldn't think it would be that difficult. Would last forever.   

SteveG

Thanx for the modern gas tank float suggestion and will try that if needed.

I ordered and received two 2" dia. cork balls that I believe will be made to work. I also ordered 2 neoprene floats that are used in Ford Mod. A gas guages. Onr to replace the saturated cork in my fuel tank and one, perhaps in thr vacuum fuel canister.

I read that a Super Glue coating will eliminate gas saturation into the cork. We'll see.

Thank you all for the help and I'll post the results.

SteveG