• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Wind up wind screen

Started by Tinkeys, January 21, 2011, 03:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkeys

Does any body know if some or all 30U plymouths had wind up windscreen ??

chetbrz

My 29 Sedan has a wind up windshield.  Of course it only opens about 3 or 4 inches.

By the way, Welcome

You may have to reload your avatar.  I was fixing some corrupted files last night and might have deleted it.

Sorry,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Tinkeys

Thanks  !!
for invite to forum its very very interesting !
As for avatar not quiet sure what that is ?

Tinkeys

Would anyone have photo of winder mechanizm fitted to car as my 30U sedan is missing !!

chetbrz

Quote from: Tinkeys on January 22, 2011, 02:02:45 AM
Thanks  !!
for invite to forum its very very interesting !
As for avatar not quiet sure what that is ?

I converted your first day home picture into an Avatar.  I can remove it if you don't like the image.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SDGlenn

Hi Tinkeys, Thought some one that owns a 30 model would have been on here by now. I have a 29 model also, so I can not really help you, except maybe bringing this post to the top so people may open it. good luck,
Later,
Glenn
SDGlenn

Tinkeys

Gary 30U

Hi Tinkeys,
If you are talking about a wind up windshild, yes I believe they all had them. My 30U coupe has one that rolls up about 3 or so inchs. When you first roll it up it lets air down behind the dash to you feet, and if you rool it up all the way air comes into the passenger compartment. When I first got my car I didn't know about these things and got a mechanism out of the second parts car I bought.

I sent my mechanism to Stephen Kassis, The Filling Station, 990 South Second Street, Lebanon, OR 97355-3227 and they had it refurbished. They are really into the Chevrolet stuff, but this mechanism was done by a specialty parts manufacturer and used by several different makes.

The original gear set was pot metal and had gone to pieces and they replaced all the mechanical parts with aluminum and it works perfectly.

IMPORTANT - the one thing they need from the original mechanism is the input shft that the handle goes on. The original from the Chevrolet was a splined shaft and the Plymouth was a square shaft .

I know that the Filling Station sends this off to somewhere in the mid-west to actually have the work done, but I can't recall who it went to.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Tinkeys

Doug

The previous care taker of my 30U took the roller out. He gave it to me when I received the car but I havn/t taken the time to put it back in. I plan on doing it soon but would like to see a picture of one.

Tinkeys

Would anyone have a picture of winder mechanism for windscreen ?
Thank you Tony

Gary 30U

Tony, Tomorrow I will take down my headboard and get a picture of my mechanism.

Gary

Doug

Here are 2 Pictures of my Wind Screen  Riser, The PO took it all out so he could install an electric wiper motor. Like I said earlier I have been wanting to put it back just hadn't found the time. Work here has gotten so slow I have all the time I need.

Tinkeys

Thank you guys !!
everyone is so helpfull , I really appreciate  the effort you all put in !

Gary 30U

Tony, doug got the good pictures for you. Mine looks just like that, only new made of aluminum rather than pot metal.

Gary