• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Stuck Piston Removal Trick

Started by Crazydave, January 02, 2019, 06:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazydave

Dealing with old gas engines and parts for them, you occasionally get one that is seized.

2 summers ago I bought a tractor for parts. It was stored outside and one of the cylinders was seized. Presumably the one with the exhaust valve open. I broke it down into a parts pile after a short attempt at getting it unstuck. With no real plan of using that block, it wasn't high on my list of things to do. This last week I was getting the parts together and off to the machine shop for that project rebuild, and found I had different castings on the tractor i wanted to rebuild and now I want a matching pair which brings me back to the old parts pile. This engine configuration is much different than a standard design. The main part of the engine is actually used as the tractor frame. The "blocks" drop into it 2 cylinders each, with a one piece head that bolts across them horizontally. So with the head off there is not direct access to pound or press the piston out. To remove it without damage, grease does the trick. This thing was soaked with every type of concoction for prolonged periods of time. At the end of the day if you want it out, bush the spark plug hole to take a grease zerk. Get a lot of grease and borrow a power gun if available and you will get results. (look at the PSI rating on the sticker)

frankp

As Tim "The Tool Man" said, MORE POWER!!

nice goin' Dave.  Makes a great start to the new yeer.
frank p

chetbrz

Dave,  The Plymouth engine should be easy after this tractor.  Nice job. Good luck with the rebuild.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Crazydave

I am making more project progress than usual, just not on the Plymouth.

However, I did find out there is resident MN babbitt engine shop. I guess there was a pretty well known shop that did a lot of that work in South Dakota and it was bought out (maybe when retired) and moved to Forest Lake MN. Talking with the shop I am having do my current engine machine work, said they are reasonable and quick to turn around parts. Not sure when I may take on that project.

Also received my interior hardware last week.

Frank we should pay a visit to the Old Chrysler Museum, (Blue Tow) looks like hes open afternoons now. We have a cold boring stretch of winter starting....

frankp

Having a babbit shop that close is convenient.

Dave, February would be a good time.
frank p