• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Steering column question

Started by Russ T. Fender, October 29, 2019, 03:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ T. Fender

I am in the process of a restoration on my 30-U and need to replace the horn wire running through the column as the insulation has deteriorated.  Has anyone ever done that and if so what do I need to be aware of before I get started.  I certainly don't want to damage anything.

chetbrz

Russ,

It's easy to replace the wire after you remove the switch assembly and the center tube.   I think the 30U is the same as my 29U in the picture below.

You will probably have to lower the steering box if your roof is intact.

Sorry,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

Thanks, the body is off the chassis so that is no problem.  How is the wire connected to the horn button?

chetbrz

Not sure I haven't gotten to actually replacing the wire.  Should be easy.  I haven't taken the button apart.., basically sitting in my pile of parts waiting to be fixed and reinstalled.

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

I re-did my entire horn assembly, levers and tubes several months ago. I may have some pictures posted on the site somewhere. There is one wire from the base of the horn button attached to a small metal piece from what I remember. I have an extra horn button assembly minus the levers and can take pictures if need be.

Russ T. Fender

racertb

Here are some pics...horn wire attaches to metal cone looking button and goes down through tube.  Hopefully these pics help.

Russ T. Fender

Thanks, that is just what I needed!

racertb

Articifer Tom

Rather then solding on to button . I cut wire back , stripped off insulation . Then soldered spliced . Covered wire with black heat shrink , and all with green shrink . Diameter must be kept to minimum . Wire ( shown ) was so wrinkled it was hard to remove .