• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

30-U interior

Started by Russ T. Fender, January 14, 2024, 05:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ T. Fender

I am finally at the point in my restoration where I need to make some decisions about finishing the interior.  My car is a rumble seat coupe and the rumble seat upholstery is original and in good condition so my question is limited to the interior.  Many years ago I was told by some club members, who have long since passed, that the seats could have been ordered in leather as an option.  This was based on the fact that the roadsters came that way.  That would be my preference but I cannot find any documentation to support that so I am wondering if anyone has any information about that, one way or the other.  I am a bit of a purest (within reason) and want things to be correct so if I can't document the use of leather as an option I will be looking for suggestion on alternatives.  Thanks!

chetbrz

I wish that I could help you but maybe you should try the Technical Advisor for 1930, 30U, PA from the Plymouth Owners Club.  If you need contact info send me a PM or an email. 

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

Thanks.  Bob McMulkin, who was an old friend of mine,  was the technical advisor for those cars but he unfortunately passed away a few years ago. I don't know who, if anyone, took over for him.  He did not have the answer and doubted that anyone would be able to say one way or the other.
I thought I would give it one last try before I bit the bullet and went with a cloth interior.  My original interior is hidden under seat covers installed by the original owner after it wore out.  I guess I will just try to get as close a match as I can and leave it at that!

chetbrz

I feel your pain.  There is minimal information available for the early years.  Still the POC would be the most critical judge, but it seems that you have already gone down that road.  As of Q3 2023, Nick Romano is listed as Tech Advisor for your year. I PM the contact info. 
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

Thanks, I'll contact him and see what he has to say.

Russ T. Fender

Well, no progress on the interior question. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any information on the interiors of the early Plymouths.  So, I will move to plan B and ask if anyone has any pictures of the original interiors of the early Plymouths and in particular the 30-U coupe.  Understandably,  most cars have had their interiors redone and looking at the pictures of those cars I have doesn't help much as people seem to have done whatever worked for them as opposed to what was original.  I may wind up doing that too but I'd like to get it right if possible. Thanks.

Russ T. Fender

Chet I spoke with Ted but he has a roadster (lucky guy) so no help there.  Still looking for pictures of an original interior!

kimmc

Russ:  I have my great-grandfather's '29 coupe.  I got it from my grandparents when I was about 11 or 12 (about 1954) and drove it around the Nebr farm and to school until I was 14.  The car is a business coupe, not a rumble seat coupe.  It had a leather seat that I am certain was original.  I have pictures of the interior before I began restoration.  If those can help you I will send them to you.  Let me know.  Kim Mc

Russ T. Fender

Kim that would be great!  I had been told that the seats were available in leather but have never seen an example and could not find any supporting documentation.  I doubt leather would have not been available in the rumble seat coupe if you could get it in the business coupe.  This is just what I have been looking for.

Touring29

If you are being judged by POC standards and they can't tell you what was original how are they going to say leather is wrong! Personally I would use one of the leather lookalike materials. They are hard to tell from leather and hold up a lot better. They are also less expensive and easier to match and work with. 

Russ T. Fender

Well, I finally pulled off the three layers of seat covers that were installed on my seats over the years and what I found was a dark brown Bedford Cord material.  I have decided to keep it as it came from the factory and am searching for the closest thing I can find to match what I have.  What I have found however is that there definitely were options available for the interiors even if they are not very well documented.