• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Antenna?

Started by SDGlenn, June 15, 2011, 09:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDGlenn

I have installed a CD Player/Radio in my 29 Plymouth coupe. I installed it behind the seat in the storage box, along with the speakers. My question is: Is it possible to hook up the "chicken wire" in the roof to use it as the antenna? Or what would be the best way/or kind of way, to hook up an antenna so it isn't seen? Any ideas? I posted this on the POC site as well, maybe I will get some good ideas between the two sites.
Thanks,
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

Doug

There is an antenna made to go in the fairing on a motorcycle. I have used them but can't remember the manufacture. If you search for antennas for Harley Davidson you will find them. 

SDGlenn

Thanks Doug, one more thing...... The CD/Radio is hooked to a 12V Battery in the trunk and not grounded to the car body at all, only the 12V Battery, negative ground. What happens if the Antenna system completes a ground to the car body with the positive ground?
Thanks,
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

Doug

These antennas have a coax cable just like any antenna but it also has to be connected to a power source and you would connect that to your 12v battery. The antenna itself is not grounded

SDGlenn

Thanks Doug, We have a "Brand New" Harley Davidson dealer in my town, just opened his doors this spring. I will stop and visit with them tomorrow.
Thanks again.
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

SDGlenn

I stopped by the local Harley Davidson shop today. They had an antenna that fits behind the fairing on thier Bikes and works very well there, should work on a Plymouth then Right? Haven't looked into where to install it yet, maybe under the sunvisor, Maybe? I am a little unsure about the idea of putting it under the running boards.
SD Glenn

SDGlenn

SDGlenn

Where did I screw up. OK, this is what is happening.

The radio and CD Player work great... When the car is not running. As soon as I turn on the ignition ther NO problem, working good. AS SOON as I start the engine, There is nothing, it seems to shut down the whole radio. No sound at all, even the LED display does not work right. Any Ideas will be appreciated, maybe suppressors on the generator and distributor? There is definitely NO conection between the radio system and the car body, or the car wireing.Thanks
Has anybody done this before, curious....

BUT not the CD Player, it still is working with the car running. (another problem with that but I know what that is..When the vehicle is moving it skips tracks, radio is vertical, needs to be horizonal I think)

SD Glenn
SDGlenn

Doug

You have the radio on it's own 12v power sorce, right?

1929luv

You will haft to make sure the radio is not mounted to metal. It will haft to be insulated. I havfe done this before on "A"s and as long as you insulate them fully it works good and sometime you get electric noise tho.  But that can be fixed too.  Good luck Craig

SDGlenn

The Radio has its own 12 Volt system, not hooked to the frame in anyway. The Radio is NOT touching any metal in the car at all. The antenna and radio are sharing the same ground and positive source from the 12V battery. This Motorcycle antenna requires battery power to recieve max output, and has that. Thanks guys. Tod suggested RFI from the plug wires, I am going to try that tomorrow. Will let you all know if that works.
Thanks
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

chetbrz

Quote from: Glenn on June 19, 2011, 10:53:26 PM
The Radio has its own 12 Volt system, not hooked to the frame in anyway. The Radio is NOT touching any metal in the car at all. The antenna and radio are sharing the same ground and positive source from the 12V battery. This Motorcycle antenna requires battery power to recieve max output, and has that. Thanks guys. Tod suggested RFI from the plug wires, I am going to try that tomorrow. Will let you all know if that works.
Thanks
SD Glenn

Glenn,

RFI from the motor will not affect the FM radio.  Most likely something to do with the antenna.  If you have one,  just plug in a regular antenna.   My 48 Plymouth works fine with 8 inches of bare unshielded wire tucked between the windshield glass and the rubber gasket.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SDGlenn

Chet,
I tryed putting just a lead cable on my radio, the reception was pretty good, again as soon as I started the engine the same thing happened-- lost reception and the LEDs went goofy.

I tryed cranking the engine without the ignition on, the radio played on, immediately when I turned on the key the radio quit. lol.

I wonder, the 29 has a coil wire that is close to 6 feet long, from the distributor, thru the firewall, to the coil on the back side of the dask. Do you suppose, the  coil being that close to the radio there could be some feed back that would effect this thing. lol (Picking at straws now maybe)

I may try a new RFI Coil wire tomorrow(if I can find one that long) to see what happens.
Thanks,
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

chetbrz

Quote from: Glenn on June 20, 2011, 11:30:48 PM
Chet,
quit. lol.

I wonder, the 29 has a coil wire that is close to 6 feet long, from the distributor, thru the firewall, to the coil on the back side of the dask. Do you suppose, the  coil being that close to the radio there could be some feed back that would effect this thing. lol (Picking at straws now maybe)

I may try a new RFI Coil wire tomorrow(if I can find one that long) to see what happens.
Thanks,
SD Glenn

Glenn,

The spark plug cable should be shielded but you could test this by introducing a transistor radio near the installed radio to determine if you are getting a strong RF off the coil wire.  If not I would also suspect an AC signal on the power line.  This could be isolated with a diode.  The coil or cap will only work for radio frequency and must match the frequency to eliminate the signal.   Maybe the ignition coil is producing such a strong RF it is killing the radio.  That long coil wire could be acking like an antena.  Interesting problem.  

Chet...

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SDGlenn

Chet, Just about all you said is Greek to me. lol  What would happen if I put a transistor radio near the radio?
Where would a diode be installed, to isolate the AC Signal? 
Where would the AC signal come from?
The coil or cap will only work for radio frequency and must match the frequency to eliminate the signal. I don't know what this means? 
I am not very bright on this kind of stuff.... sorry,,, not bright at all about this stuff. Thanks,
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

SDGlenn

one more thing ...... it is now 5PM, I have been trying different things with the radio, checking all the wiring, etc.

The last thing I noticed was... I reached over and shut off the radio, I got a shock. Not hard but enough to make me jump. lol.  What do you think of that developement? Could RFI cause that to happen, or my imagination? lol

I did put a transistor radio next to the car radio, the car radio died when I started the car and the transistor radio played on with no change in the volume and no static.

Thanks,
SD Glenn
SDGlenn