• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

28 Q questions

Started by rwollman, February 01, 2015, 03:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwollman

Greetings all - have some questions that I hope someone can assist with:
1.  How many discs go into the front U joint_ I read the answer to this somewhere but cannot locate it again.  I know one end gets three and the other two but want to make sure. 
2.  Does anyone know if the buckle plates are available for the U-Joints.  These are the what I would call a waffle washer and I believe they go on each side of the bolts that go thru the discs.
3.  Is there a torque value on the not that holds the yoke onto the tranny output shaft?  On the one I am working on the nut is a castle nut and shaft is drilled for a cotter key but if the nut is       tightened up it goes beyond the hole for the cotter pin.  Guess I am asking if the yoke is supposed to float on the splined shaft and the keyed not prevents the nut from coming off.
4.  Does anyone know the correct material for the straps on the shocks and if they are available and/or what material would work for them. 

Thanks for the help-photos will be coming if we ever get it done........   

frankp

I'll be of little help.  My 29 is not readily available to look at.

1.  no car or pics to look at
2.  someone has this info
3.  There may be, but I don't know it.  I believe the yoke should not float on the shaft.  Maybe a different size washer will allow slot/hole to align when tight.
4.  don't know - no shocks on mine

No need to wait till completion for photos.  In progress are great, too!
frank
frank p

chetbrz

1)  Three discs go on the differential end and two go on the transmission end of the drive shaft.

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

There are three on the rear and two up front.  When I replaced my discs (I've only done the rear) I reused my buckle washers and in a few spots the I didn't have any, I used heavy duty round washers from Home Depot.  I alternated the different washers around the discs. Everything is secured with castle nuts and cotter pins and everything has worked fine for the past few years, including a few long trips.   I doubt buckle washers are still available, but you never know.  I don't have shocks either.

Ted

SteveG

I rebuilt my universals about a year ago.

I bought rubber replacements from Today and Yesterday. They were made from fire hose but were too thin and would buckle. Sent them back and they refunded the cost. Good people.

I met a guy, that knew a gu,y that cut them out of conveyer belting and they have bee working fine.

There are some available on FleaBay once in awhile that are molded out of some kind of tough composite that look real good and tough. But he wants $59.00 a piece! Too much for me. Also John Deere stocks power take off discs that fit, but I think they cost even more.

The best bet is to source the conveyer belting of the same thickness and figure a way to cut an drill the holes. If money is no object,t the composite or JD would fit the bill.

Of course really look, write down or photo the correct assembly. There are about 85 + bolts, washers cotter pins ect.

The threads on most of the bolts and nuts were worn but a good hardware store had them along with the castle nuts. You can cut and drill for the pins.

I didn't have enough wavy washers and substituted some with flat washers of same thickness and diameter. I don't know the torque values so I torqued them real good. Nothing is supposed to float. It's a good idea to torque them down about every 1500 miles or so till the washers settle in.

Ask in the Parts wanted Section. Someone may have extra wavy washers, but as you know, it takes a lot of them. I think flat washers are OK.

It's far from rocket science, but real PIA if you rush it.

If you have anymore questions just ask.

SteveG

racertb

There's a gentleman in the northeast who makes the discs. I got all 5 for under $100.  They look exactly like the originals in size, thickness, etc.  I'll try to find his information if anyone is interested.

ski

I replaced mine a few months back with a kit I bought several years ago.  The kit had 2 for the front and 3 for the rear like the others have said.  When I removed the rear discs there were four but they were thinner that the new ones and not original to the car.  The two discs in the front appeared to be original and were the same thickness as the replacements. I got the info on where to purchase them from this board.  I will look for the address of the guy who made them.  They were 135. for all 5 discs and they were a breeze to replace.  Here's a picture of the old & new.

ski

rwollman

for those who replied about a party that makes them pls post the address if you can find it   Thanks loads in advance

racertb

Here is the gentleman who I got mine from who's information I found out from someone off the POC site.  I emailed him whenI initiated contact...I'm glad I saved my old email!:

Gene Bibber
135 Brackett Road
Gorham, Maine  04038
Tele: (207) 839-4605

Email:  missmud31@myfairpoint.net

Bearings 46

25 years ago I bought conveyor belt material and had them cut at a machine shop for my 30-30U sedan - they,ve worked great!

racertb

I'm sure that or similar will work!  Just to clarify, at the time I bought mine in 2011, all 5 were $125 shipped.  A bargain compared to the rip-off vendor on eBay.