• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Carter DRT 08 without an accelerator pump

Started by abradney, December 17, 2018, 04:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abradney

Hi (again)
I recently received a used DRT 08 carb that had the lower part of the accelerator pump assembly removed and blocked with a brass fitting.  Is that unusual?  The reason I ask is my accelerator pump is leaking, i've tried the seal that comes with a rebuild kit to no avail, I've also tried other seals, just wondering is there going to be a noticeable difference (at parade speeds or at least low speeds) to the performance without an accelerator pump fitted?

Is there a carb rebuild guy who could rebuild it for me?

racertb

I have the RT-08 and I don't believe mine has actually worked in years...car runs fine at all speeds.

chetbrz

I sent this bunch of parts to a gentleman in Northern Virginia who rebuilds these for his Chevy Club.

He turned that pile of parts into the picture below.  He also made an accelerator for my carb.

The DRT08 is for a Dodge.  He told me he used the right tubes for the Plymouth RT08.  This was in January of this year and I have not had the opportunity to install this carb because my motor is still in the shop.

Not Cheep ($$$$).  You might want to email me for contact info, if interested.  Until I run this carb I am not recommending the re-builder.

PS... The carb should work fine without the accelerator.  Maybe a little slow from the line in a drag race.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

abradney

So this afternoon I pulled the accelerator pump off and blocked it with a brass fitting, fired the car up and it seemed to run fine, even with a little pressure on the gas pedal, I took a huge leap and sat on the floor in the car, pressed clutch, went into first and it moved forward under its own power for the first time in (???) years!! Reverse too!!  Stoked!

Next is brakes!

abradney

chetbrz

Congratulations!!! It's nice feeling to know your car is alive again.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

abradney

Quote from: chetbrz on December 18, 2018, 07:11:25 PM
Congratulations!!! It's nice feeling to know your car is alive again.

Thank you!!  It's reassuring to know the clutch and transmission work, at least in 1st and reverse.

frankp

Good work! You'll be on the road in no time!

As you discovered, blocking the accelerator pump doesn't make a noticeable difference.  Some Carter experts say this was basically for show and didn't really work.
frank p