• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Carb Drips Gas from Air Intake

Started by frankp, June 05, 2018, 07:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankp

Hi folks,

Anyone have this problem on a Carter RT-08 and solved it?  I'm stumped.  Leaks even with gas shut from vac tank.

Unfortunately Jon, Carb Shop, says this is what they do, but doesn't seem right.  Never a dull moment.

Thanks for any input,
frank
frank p

chetbrz

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

Interesting thought.  Would the gas be pushed back up through the strainer cap?  I have not remvoved the cap to watch.  The liquid volume decreases over time.  First thing to mind was some type of pressure differential, siphon?  I don't know all the internal plumbing.

Float seems intact.  Plexiglass bowl, anyone?

Doesn't leak when running.
frank p

29plycoop

Frank: My 2 cents. If the float tank shutoff is working correctly and is in fact off, the only place gas could be coming from is the carb float bowel. On a few ocasions I have seen that a small piece of contamination in the needle and seat will make the situation you have. We had to take the carb apart and flush with all the jets out 3 times before getting it clean. Another posibility is the float may be set to high. Worth a second check if you have it apart. Good luck - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

frankp

I'll disassemble, clean and check float and level again.  Pretty sure there is one jet that can't be removed.

Thanks Chet and Rich for your suggestions.  Probably a week or so before diving in.  I'll post results.
frank p

frankp

After 2nd clean out, it only leaked about a teaspoon full over 24 hours.  A short 2 mile drive yesterday afternoon resulted in no overnight leak with the stopcock turned off on the vac tank.  I'm putting this in the win column, for the moment.  I have a rebuild kit on the way and may replace needle valve.  Rich, your advice appears to have worked - thank you and Chet for your input. 

frank
frank p

29plycoop

Glad to hear she is up and going again. With some 90 year old parts they can be hard to get along with. Happy Motoring again.
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

frankp

My success was short lived.  After installing a new needle assembly, not a drop for 4 days.
frank p

chetbrz

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member