• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

crank pulley removal

Started by Rusty, November 30, 2009, 06:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

Is this a press fit?  I have tried a puller with no luck?  I was gentle as I did not want to break it.  Is there any trick or just pull it off?
rusty

1929luv

Rusty there is  nut on it but after removing nut I had to use puller on mine I pulled close to center with small puller good luck craig

29plycoop

There is no press fit on the pulley. Penetrating oil and a little heat should do it.
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

Rusty

I thought that the nut was part of the pully, did not think that they were seperate.  I bet that is why I could not get it off.  I will try removing that nut first.  thanks  rusty

Rusty

I got the pulley off and cleaned it and found a crack.  I took it the machine shop and they confirmed a crack.  Does any one have a spare lying around??  so a lead to find one.
thanks  rusty

chetbrz

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Rusty

The machine shop guys thought it could as a last resort.  The porblem being if it broke will spinning "high RPM" that a piece could go flying.  The machine shop would do this but gave me a few names which I tried but no luck.  rusty

29plycoop

Finding a used pulley would be the best fix. If one does not show up your machine shop should be able to turn you one on a lathe. (you will want to get a bid first) As I remember the original pulley is a cast metal and not steel so it won't weld very good, if at all. Here's hoping one shows up.

29UJohn

I have a pully on my engine that was brazed and I have driven it over 9000 miles with no problems.

The following have old parts engines and may have a pully for you:

BEN OSTRANDER
SITE 11 BOX 52 RR 1
DE WINTON AB  T0L 0X0
CANADA 

Ray Ganser
Box 357
Provost, Alberta
Canada  T0B  3S0

Otherwise, there is a machine shop in my town that could make one, not sure what the price would be though.
John
1929U 4 Dr

Rusty

If it is brazed, does it have to be balanced?
rusty

29plycoop

If the part contour of the pulley permits, the crack should be grooved out, well cleaned (lacquer thinner works well) and then weld or braze. Then then turn (with lathe) and/or hand grind the repaired area back to the original contour and ballance will not be a problem. Good luck with your repair.- Rich

29plycoop

Rusty !!!! I think you might find a NOS pulley on Ebay that will end in aprox. 8 hours from now.  (it is 11.00 central std. time USA ) Look at Ebay #130349788638 Pulley. Hope this helps. - Rich