• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Exhaust hangers

Started by Gary 30U, February 28, 2010, 10:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary 30U

I came across an original exhaust pipe for my 30U, but now I need info on hangers.

I have an original of the center hanger that goes behind the muffler and hung off the cross member, but need info on the one that was used at the rear of the car.

If anyone can get me a pic, maybe measurements, and what size material it was made of maybe I can make one. That is unless someone has one they can part with.

Thanks, Gary
503-939-9320 or chiefgr@hotmail.com

chetbrz

Gary,

Does the tail pipe go straight out past the rear bumper or does it curve out at the rear wheel well.

I curved mine out at the Passenger side wheel well because there didn't seem to be enough room to get around the gas tank.  I would be very interested in seeing how it was originally mounted

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Gary 30U

Chet, The pipe I was given was supposed to be an original, but I modified it a bit. When I put it up in there the only way that made any since it didn't line up quite right. The back section (from the axle back) is about two inches lower than the front section (from the axle to the muffler). If you turn it around it just doesn't fit right. Anyway when I got it in place the front section had a slight kink in it that pointed off to the side of the car. Had to straighten that. This same section had to be bent down a little to lay level with the car frame. I got it to line up with the original hanger which was solidly bolted to the frame. I redid this with some vibration dampener mounts, but you don't notice them.

The pipe comes straight out the back about 1 1/2" to 2" below the gas tank. I think when I get my bumpers back on (haveing them redone) I might add about 6" of length to the pipe.

Oh, by the way, this pipe was 1 1/2" pipe and I thought the original was supposed to be 1 1/4", but that isn't available now so I guess it is OK.

BUT, still haven't answered my original question and that is what is the rear tailpipe hanger supposed to look like and when was it attached?

Gary

kimmc

Hey, Gary.  Don't know if this will be any help or not.  Slid under the old girl ('29 bus coupe) and took a couple of pictures.  I seem to have trouble posting pics because of the size limitation but I'll try.  There is one pic of the muffler hanger on the cross member just ahead of the differential.  The rear-most hanger is a strap that comes off the angle iron piece just ahead and above the gas tank.  You can see the fuel line in the picture.  I do not know if this was the original location.  Hope this helps.  Kim Mc

kimmc

Here's the picture of the rear-most strap just ahead and above the gas tank.  Kim Mc

chetbrz

I thought this Lube Chart taken from the 29 Instruction Booklet might be helpful.  When I bought my car the tail pipe was cut off just before the rear axle.  I bought a pipe setup, which was suppose to be for the 29 but it didn't seem to go around the axle and sufficiently clear the gas tank.  Working with the owner of a local muffler shop we fabricated a bend that provides the exhaust at the rear of the passenger side wheel well.  (Not correct for the Plymouth but I believe like a Modal A)  The problem with the Lube Chart is that it doesn't show the tail pipe extending past the gas tank rear top cover. ?  Oversight or reality I don't know ?

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Gary 30U

Chet, Thanks. Trying to post some pictures, but hard for us computer dumbies. First had to big a file, but here goes again. This should be a pic of the hanger that is just behind the muffler.

Gary 30U

Hey it worked. This pic is of the front hanger that attaches on the front of the bell housing. The ground stap fron the engine to frame rail also attaches to this same stud. I know the exhaust pipe is not orginal (to large) but both this bracket and the previous one wer on the car when acquired in 1959 and I guess they are original equipment.

Gary 30U

THis picture shows a funny shaped bracket that is attached to the cross member just in front of the gas tank. I have been wondering what it might be for, other than give me something to hide the gas line behind.

Gary 30U

This picture is of the tail pipe in the rear hanger. Although it looks like the pipe lays off to one side it actually goes straight over the axle and out the back of the car coming out just below the spare tire mount. I have been planing on using a hanger to mount on the same bolts that hold that spare tire mount.

Gary 30U

Maybe we are getting this figured out.

Kim, Just a guess but it appears you have the earlier setup as the parts book shows. There apparently were differences other than just a part number change. My 30U doesn't have holes in the cross member for the muffler hanger like your picture and obviously the bracket on the crossmember in front of the gas tank is different. Mine is just like a bent "J" and doesn't have any holes in it.

I wondered about the hanger that was behind the muffler as it also fits in front of the muffler like in Chet's lube chart picture. Question now is should I make one for the front and rear of the muffler.

Thanks again to each of you for the help. One of these days the weather will clear up and we can go for a drive.

GAry

kimmc

Gary; you are sure welcome.  I enjoyed looking at your pics too.  I'm getting ready to clean the frame and running gear.  What primer and black paint did you use and/or do you have a recommendation?  Thanks.  Kim 

Gary 30U

KIm, I have been using two different blacks. But before I get to that I need to tell you that there is a lot of work to do under this car. When I got it they had taken the body off and painted it, but they had just sort of cleaned the frame. Sill a lot of old hard grease left behind. When they had the body off they didn't bother to roll it over and clean the underside. As a result you can see all the old dirt and grease under the cab. Because they didn't do much prep on the differential or anything else there is lots of surface rust beginning to show.

The parts that I have had time to clean up I have used just plain old chassis black from NAPA on the frame rails and undercarrage. For those parts that show I have used NAPA Duplicolor gloss black, i.e. for the spring hanger ends that show. I tried paint on the bumper brackets and such and that wasn't very successful, didn't last. I have the bumper brackets and the wheel rims in getting powder coated now so I shouldn't have to touch them again.

I will get some pictures posted when it is done, but will try to put one up now. In these it is not upholstered and has had some updates since then, but what you get is what you get. When I get things back together I am going to park it on the ramps to my hay trailer and pressure wash the underside so mayber I can put some undercoating or something there to cover it.

Trying to get it cleaned up for the "2010" POC meet we are hosting here in the Portland area.