• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

28-29 Plymouth Cowl Lacing Question

Started by 29UJohn, April 03, 2010, 10:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29UJohn

Can anyone tell me what the original cowl lacing looked like?  Was it the flat type ot double beaded type?  And, how wide and thick should it be?

On my radiator shell, I have 3/4 inch wide double beaded lacing, with beads 3/16 inch thick.  However, this seems too thick and narrow for the cowling.

John
John
1929U 4 Dr

Gary 30U

Can't say about 28 or 29, but my old 30 parts car had the 3/4" double bead on both the radiator and cowl.

Gary

29UJohn

John
1929U 4 Dr

kimmc

Hey, John.  I typed an entire reply and then it just disappeared out into the ether so I'm going to try again.  My great grandfather bought a '29 business coupe new that was passed down to me.  It's been in storage since I last drove it in '57.  I'm starting its restoration; it is mostly complete and I believe mostly original.  I am sending pictures of the gasket (your "lacing"?) along the cowl and radiator shell.  It is 3/4" wide and 1/8" thick (it may have been 3/16" at one time).  It has raised beads along the length of either side with a thinner strip in between.  The gaskets on the cowl and radiator shell are the same.  I will have to send a second picture in a separate reply.  If you would like additional pics let me know.  Hope this helps.  Kim Mc

kimmc

John: here's a closeup of the gasket on the cowl.  Not great but I hope it will help you.  Kim Mc

29UJohn

Wow - thanks for the pictures!  I can get the same lacing from Synder's for $1.00 a foot. 

John
John
1929U 4 Dr

Gary 30U

John, Another thing to think about is the nails that hold this lacing in place. They are like a threaded nail. I took mine out by grabbing them with a plier and twisting and pulling at the same time. A couple of them I had to get inside and tap them a little to get them started out. These can then be cleaned and replaced. Now we are back to all original again

Gary