• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Comfortable Crusing Speed of Your Plymouth

Started by racertb, November 16, 2012, 03:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

Just curious...what is the "comfortable" cruising speed of your old Plymouth?

Mine is between 35-40mph, but the "sweet spot" is right at 38mph... :)

Ted

SDGlenn

Sometimes a person can not count on the speed-o-meter to be accurate. I think where-ever it feels confortable to you is right. Mine seems to be about right at 45 mph on my speed-o-meter on the 29 model, however, sometimes it creeps up to 50 before I realize it and slow it back down. The 39 model seems most comfortable at about 60 mph, by spd-o-meter. With GPS shows about 56 mph on the 39, at 60, the 29 has never had the GPS in it, I will try to do that one day. Take care
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

racertb

Thanks...great point about the speedo...I'll have to try to use my GPS as well to see how accurate my speedometer is!

mopardave

All Plymouths: 1928 Q; 1951 P-23; 1966 Sport Fury Convertible; 1975 (Space) Duster; 1999 Prowler

chetbrz

Quote from: racertb on November 16, 2012, 03:22:54 PM
Just curious...what is the "comfortable" cruising speed of your old Plymouth?

Mine is between 35-40mph, but the "sweet spot" is right at 38mph... :)

Ted

I agree,  35 - 40.  I could drive for hours at 35 unfortunately there are few roads you can do this for hours.  I especially like the rural back roads.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

The 35 to 40 range is also good for me, although it is very road surface dependent.  50 on new asphalt was a pleasure.
I do know, the older I get, the lower the "comfortable speed!"

frank
frank p

chetbrz

Frank,

In my case it has to do with the age of the car.  An 83 year old automobile with wood wheels and a rotten wooden frame keeps me below the 50 mph mark on any road surface.  With my 1948 I generally cruise at 55-60 in the right lane.  Geared way to low to push her any faster over a long distance.  Of course the 99 Suburban is most comfortable at 75.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member