• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

flywheel repair

Started by p4jim, April 09, 2008, 01:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

p4jim

My 30U has a deep grove in the flywheel from some past clutch disc .  the current disc has lots of material.  Should or can  the flywheel be resurfaced?  It also suffers from a bad pilot bearing and pressure plate.   all advise is welcome, thanks, jim

chetbrz

Jim,

Flywheels are usually pretty meaty.  It is hard to tell how deep the grove is from your email but if you have it apart I would remove the Flywheel and take it to the machine shop.  If there is any danger in cutting it down the machinist will let you know.  Resurfacing a flywheel is usually pretty inexpensive.

I haven't removed the flywheel from my 29 so I can't offer any advice.   The 48 was pretty easy and it cost less then $40 bucks to cut down the flywheel.

Chet...

PS... My advice is, if you are going to do any work in that area, resurface the flywheel and install a new clutch disk, pilot & throw out bearing, You should be able to have the pressure plate rebuilt.   My 2 cents.  After all.., you only want to do this once.

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

p4jim

thanks Chet.

The flywheel will go to the shop in the next day or two with the clutch plate and disc.  As long as I'm here I may try to replace the rear main seal.  Also I can't find what the throw-out bearing return spring hooks to on the transmission?  The throw-out bearing was  throwing grease so you are right on it too

jim

chetbrz

Quote from: p4jim on April 10, 2008, 01:11:14 AM
thanks Chet.

Also I can't find what the throw-out bearing return spring hooks to on the transmission? 
jim

Jim,

If you have a 28-30 the spring is the same as the brake return spring and attaches to the same bracket side by side.  I don't know about a P4.  I haven't had the pleasure of crawling under one.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

p4jim

This is one on me!  The 30U had a return spring connected to the throw-out yoke.  It never dawned on me it didn't belong in there.  It looks to be the same as in my 37.  Thanks, again Chet.

By the way, where did you get the pilot bushing and throwout bearing.  jim

chetbrz

Jim,

Jim,  If your 30 U looks a lot like the 37 then maybe it is different then the 29.  A picture would be a big help in understanding the inners.

I haven't replaced the clutch in my 29 only in my 48P15.  I believe I purchased the parts for Andy Bernbaum in Connecticut.  With the 29 I had transmission problems and replaced the transmission, throw out bearing and the universal disks front & rear.  The NOS throw out bearing I had picked up on eBay.  I am not sure what the availability is for the pilot & throw out bearing for a 30 U.

The 29 Pictured below:

With the 29 it appears that the bell housing is the rear engine support. ???  Might make changing the clutch a bit more challenging then a contemporary car.  Actually in the 48 the bell housing is also the rear engine support.

Good Luck,  Chet...

chetbrz

Jim,   FYI..

The Plymouth Master Parts list shows the throw out bearing as the same for the Q, U, and 30-U up to engine # U-258836 after that it is the same as the PA and changes again for the PB.

The Pilot bushing is the same from Model Q to Model PB, 1928 to 1933.

The return spring is definitely between the pedal and the bell housing bracket.  Same as the brake pedal.

Chet...

p4jim

Thanks Chet for all that info.  The spring  that confused me did not belong and must have been left hanging by a previous repair.  The extra spring  sure is similar to the 37p4 which I remember cuz it was hard to get hooked in place after the transmission was installed.   

Next week I'll look for the pilot, which is a must, and the throw out which is an almost must.
jim

29UJohn

The clutch throwout bearing has it's own return spring that is separate from the clutch pedal return spring.  On my 29U, it attaches to a small knotch on the bottom of the upper access opening to the clutch (i.e., the access opening that you use when putting grease into the bearing.)  This same spring was used for many years.  I recently obtained a new exact replacement from PowerWagens for just a few dollars. 

Rich Rodgers advertises on ebay and claims to have a good supply of both pilot bearings and throwout bearings for old cars.  I have never done business with him, so I cannot vouch for him.  Here is his email address:

Rich Rodgers:  fishn@centurytel.net

John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

Quote from: 29UJohn on April 23, 2008, 09:52:24 PM
The clutch throwout bearing has it's own return spring that is separate from the clutch pedal return spring.  On my 29U, it attaches to a small knotch on the bottom of the upper access opening to the clutch (i.e., the access opening that you use when putting grease into the bearing.)  This same spring was used for many years.  I recently obtained a new exact replacement from PowerWagens for just a few dollars. 

My apologies, I forgot about the spring that attaches to the throw out bearing.

Thanks John for updating this post.  I sent Jim an email alert.

Chet...

p4jim

Thanks guys, I wondered what that notch was for.  jim