• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Exhaust system question

Started by 29UJohn, February 18, 2018, 10:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

29UJohn

What holds the tailpipe on?  There appears to be no brackets rear of the muffler.
John
1929U 4 Dr

racertb

I have a hanger mounted near the right front of the gas tank that supports the tailpipe.

Articifer Tom

You can see hanger on the above drawing . It is on tank cross frame and the down curve of pipe . Seen in other pics some where on AACA site .

29UJohn

John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

Quote from: Articifer Tom on February 19, 2018, 08:58:07 PM
You can see hanger on the above drawing . It is on tank cross frame and the down curve of pipe . Seen in other pics some where on AACA site .

Tom, I am not understanding what drawing you are referring to (is it in the lube Diag.).  Also I searched the AACA forum for 29 Plymouth muffler or tail pipe and found nothing.  Maybe I didn't query correctly.  Could you please post a link to the info you are talking about.  Many Thanks !

John, I worked with a muffler guy and we installed a soft support on the passenger side frame to allow the tail pipe to exhaust in the rear of the wheel well like a Model A.  I am not saying this is right or wrong just functional.   I didn't find any info on how this was handled in the original design.  When I got my car the muffler pipe exhausted before the rear axle.  I know that was not original just expedient.  I would be very interested in any info on this topic.  Especially how the exhaust pipe gets around the rear axle and gas tank.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Articifer Tom

Here Chet . This is a friends UF10 like mine which has same frame layout . He had new exhaust ,but looks like old hangers .

chetbrz

Thanks John

How far is the pipe from the gas tank. The gas line is also on that side.  Any problems with that.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Mine looks the same as in that photo...no issues with the gas line.

Articifer Tom

Do not really know . Do not have tail pipe on mine yet . There are two styles on the trucks . A long sloping to up over the axle and like your lube chart and the four cylinder trucks a hump right at axle . Neither should change this detail . I have ask friend for close up of bracket . May take till he can get to .

frankp

From the parts List under Tail Pipe Support is SUPPORT bracket (rear)   Q, U, 30-U  79578   No claim to originality, but mine curved over the rear axle, down under gas tank and past, almost to the bumper.  Lube chart in the manual shows fairly clearly.  Must end under tank.  Best pic I have of mine.
frank p

Articifer Tom

Yes , same number for Merch Exp , UF-10 ,F-10 attached with 5/16 x24 x 3/4" hex head bolt number 120741 cadium finish .

chetbrz

Great information.

Anyone have a picture of the tank bracket.  No rush.  Not there yet.

29UJohn

Is this the bracket?  It was in my box of left over parts from when I purchased the car in 1973.  (It may have been modified at some point with extra holes before I bought the car.)
John
1929U 4 Dr

frankp

John, it could be.  The 2 holes reminds me of the front bracket for the exhaust pipe on the bell housing.   frank
frank p

racertb

My exhaust set up looks a lot like Frank's...the hangar looks the same/similar to John's photo.