• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Check out what I bought! 29 model U!

Started by moparfreak77, April 15, 2018, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparfreak77

Hey guys, I am from Ontario Canada and I just bought a 29 plymouth model U, amazing shape I think. I need a few parts if anyone has anything, passenger side front outside door handle, rad cap, headlight lense or 2, the 2 levers on the horn are broke, what do they do? Is there a starting procedure manual? What do all the buttons/levers on the floor do? Thanks guys.

chetbrz

Welcome to the forum,

Nice find.  I am sure others will chime in with additional info.

A few responses to some of your questions:

• Radiator cap is available as a reproduction ( in the $300USD range )
  • Headlight lens - Yours look OK in the picture there are bulbs in the buckets not sealed beams.
  • The 2 levers on the horn are broke, what do they do - (1) Headlight/Park light switch (2) Throttle control
  • Is there a starting procedure manual? - There is a Plymouth Instruction Book for 1929 - Copies are available on ebay.  You can also check the Tech Section of this website
  • What do all the buttons/levers on the floor do? - Not sure what you are referring to but Here goes:  Clutch, Brake, Accelerator, Starter Switch, Gear Shift, Parking brake.  I believe that's it unless you have something else installed ??

Welcome to the forum, I think you will find the folks here very knowledgeable.

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

moparfreak77

My one headlight lense is broke, but the glass is there.
How does the throttle control work vs the accelerator?
I think my pedals must be...clutch, brake, accelerator, starter(this doesnt move), then headlight dimmer?
I figured the clutch and brake, but I have 3 more "buttons" to the right of the brake.

Crazydave

Welcome, it looks like a twin to my original.

If it has been sitting a while, (years) MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN AND FREE THE DISTRIBUTOR BASE!! Before trying to start.
It will break into many pieces. It took me years to find an original replacement. (I got mine that way) The oil sits in there and binds it up and when you start cranking it or get it running the pot metal crumbles.

There are a couple of build threads on here, (mine needs picture updating) that will likely cover anything you encounter. Best site on the web here for the old Plymouth's! They are fun and simple old cars.

I'll get back on here when I get some more time, just had to get that warning out.

Articifer Tom

Would pressure lube engine before cranking . All bearing are dry . Can be done thur oil channel plugs with hand pump .

frankp

moparfreak77,  Congrats and welcome, nice find!  Great to see another unrestored original.

Would follow Dave and Tom's good advice before going too far.

I'll give dash buttons a shot - left of steering wheel on bottom of dash is the vacuum wiper switch and instrument panel light switch.  On the dash to the right is the Choke and Spark Advance/Retard.  The 3rd??

The bumpers you picture look to be from 28Q.  The FEDCO number from the dash would tell what the car is.

frank
frank p

moparfreak77

So I think it's...throttle, footrest, headlight dimmer?

moparfreak77

What are these under the dash driver side? Not sure why the pic rotated....

moparfreak77

And I think the left knob adjusts the timing and the right is the choke? The timing cable is broke at the distributor but I can turn the distributor by hand.

moparfreak77

Quote from: frankp on April 16, 2018, 07:42:53 PM
moparfreak77,  Congrats and welcome, nice find!  Great to see another unrestored original.

Would follow Dave and Tom's good advice before going too far.

I'll give dash buttons a shot - left of steering wheel on bottom of dash is the vacuum wiper switch and instrument panel light switch.  On the dash to the right is the Choke and Spark Advance/Retard.  The 3rd??

The bumpers you picture look to be from 28Q.  The FEDCO number from the dash would tell what the car is.

frank

How does the wiper switch work? It screws out like a car adjuster screw.