• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

1934 dodge

Started by Tinkeys, December 27, 2011, 04:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkeys

I hope I'm not stepping in unwanted territory !
As I have been looking for a 34 Plymouth, I just bought a 34 Dodge DR Sedan sight unseen and will be picking it up in  the next week or two as the car is in pieces which is an unfinished project ! So now will have another addition to our family, will post pics of it after it gets home. Have to travel approx.7 1/2 hrs to get here and can't wait !
Cheers Tony.

SDGlenn

I believe you are still in friendly territory..... keeping it in the right family anyhow. lol
Waiting to see your new find.
SD Glenn

SDGlenn

wellery

Tony

Awesome find - do you have to go to Adelaide to get her?

Wayne

Tinkeys

Just b4 Adelaide at Murray Bridge is where it's from , already on the hunt for parts !

wellery

Tony

Will keep my eyes peeled for parts - anything specific you are looking for ? - I suppose you will not know to you see her

Cheers

Wayne

Tinkeys

I already know it needs 4 hub caps ,1 headlight lens ,2 tail len's, will know more after pick up.

34 might be my favorite year Dodge, I would like to see pictures
Jason Anderson

Tinkeys

Will post pictures when I get car back home , should be Tuesday next week if all goes well !
Cheers Tony .

Tinkeys

Monday morning will heading of to pickup 34 Dodge ,My tow Ute is all packed ready to go now ,only12 hours to go to leave on a 7 1/2 hr drive to Murray Bridge .

chetbrz

Sounds like fun,  Good luck,

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SDGlenn

Hey Tony, send us a picture of your tow ute also. I'd love to see it.
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

Tinkeys

Still got 6+  hours on the road will send pics when I get back as I cannot load them from phone cheers!

Tinkeys

Just seen 34 dodge and I like what I've seen
Got alot of packing to do in morning before trip home
Will post pics after I get back !

SDGlenn

Tony, I hate to sound completely ignorant, but, I'll give it a shot.  I never heard of a "ute" until I joined this site. What is a "ute"? Does "ute" stand for anything in particular? Short for something, slange for something? // ??
Thanks,
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

wellery

Glenn

Ford Australia was the first company to produce a coupe utility.This was the result of a 1932 letter from the wife of a farmer in Victoria, Australia asking for "a vehicle to go to church in on a Sunday and which can carry our pigs to market on Mondays".Ford designer Lew Bandt developed a suitable solution and the first coupe utility model was released in 1934 (In Geelong Victoria - This where I live).  Bandt went on to manage Ford's Advanced Design Department, being responsible for the body engineering of the XP, XT, XW and XA series Ford Falcon utilities. General Motors' Australian subsidiary Holden also produced a Chevrolet coupe utility in 1934 but the body style did not appear on the American market until the release of the 1957 Ford Ranchero.

Both the coupé utility and the similar open topped roadster utility continued in production but the improving economy of the mid to late 1930s and the desire for improved comfort saw coupe utility sales climb at the expense of the roadster utility until, by 1939, the latter was all but a fading memory.

By the 1980s in North America, the coupé utility began to fall out of favor again with the demise of the Ranchero after 1979, the Volkswagen Caddy, Dodge Rampage/Plymouth Scamp and of the Chevrolet El Camino by 1987.

Subaru offered the Brat in the early 1980s, and the Baja from 2003-2006. General Motors considered bringing a rebadged Holden Ute to the United States in the form of the Pontiac G8 ST in 2009, but the global recession (and GM's ultimate bankruptcy) caused them to cancel it.

The pickup truck, on the other hand, started its life a little earlier and is defined by its separate, removable, well-type 'pickup bed'. This pickup bed does not contact the cabin part of the vehicle, while the ute bed is an integral part of the whole body. Both the coupé utility and closed cab pickup designs migrated to light truck chassis & these are correctly known respectively as Utility trucks & Pickup trucks. Eventually the pickup design found a natural home on the smaller truck chassis while the ute became entrenched as a passenger car derivative, although exceptions do apply.

Hope this helps

Wayne