• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

New to forum, with a 1928 plymouth tourer

Started by imoore, May 22, 2012, 05:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imoore

Hi all,
My name is Ian Moore, and live in Melbourne Australia, I am 21yo and have an interest in anything mechanical.
My dad and I have been involved in restoring vintage stationary engines ever since i can remember. We have a nice little collection of engine/ machinery that get bigger every year. We travel around victoria with the engines to events, and show how things were done back in the day.

At the start of this year i decided to challenge my self in restoring an old car. I knew of an old wreck that was basically a complete drive line except the chassis was in may pieces. The vehicle was identified as a 1929 Plymouth U. I went and had a look at the car and decided that it was to far out of my league.

What i liked about the plymouth was the fact that not many are around in australia.
I eventually found a half restored 1928 Q tourer. That i purchased and am finishing the resto.
The Plymouth is Holden bodied and based on the Chrysler 55 series. Unfortunately the Fedco Badge was removed.
I have made a list of all thing required and should have her on the road at the end of the year.
The biggest item is getting a new roof made including the bows. But for now i am just getting drivable.

Mechanically wise shes ok except the oil pressure is slowly dropping. when i first got it, about 40pounds of pressure was on the gauge and now about 15. i have cleaned the sump and replace oil to no improvement. These figures slightly improve when she get hot. Any ideas? Im thinking oil pump slightly worn.
Will keep you up to date as i'm going along and require help
Regards Ian       
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

Tinkeys

Nice find Ian !
What part of Victoria are you in ? I am in Keilor Downs Vic.
I also have a 30 U Plymouth sedan on the road unrestored .
Like to keep hearing from you and keep up the good work ! It's good to see younger people interested in vintage cars.

imoore

Quote from: Tinkeys on May 22, 2012, 07:13:43 AM
Nice find Ian !
What part of Victoria are you in ? I am in Keilor Downs Vic.
I also have a 30 U Plymouth sedan on the road unrestored .
Like to keep hearing from you and keep up the good work ! It's good to see younger people interested in vintage cars.

Hi tinkeys
Thanks I can't wait to get her on the road.
I live in carrum downs
Ian

chetbrz

Ian,

Just as a check.., it would be good to hook up a modern oil gauge just to get a benchmark on how accurate the original is.  Also I would clean out the oil line to the gauge but you have probably done that.

Nice car and yes they are relatively rare in the US also. 

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Rusty

Nothing is better for summer cruising than a open car.  These cars are fun, just have a few quirks.  Is that a down draft carb?  What thickness oil are you running? 
Is there a vacuum leak on the oil pump to the fuel canister causing a loss of suction and hence lower oil pressure?  just a thought.  May need a rebuild on the oil pump?
Did you plastic gauge the bearing when cleaning out the oil pan?  Worn bearing?

COOl car
rusty

aussieQ

Hi Ian,

Glad to see you've joined the forum. Between all of the users there is a wealth of information. From the photo's it looks like it won't be long before we see it on the road.

Regards

Gary

imoore

Quote from: Rusty on May 22, 2012, 07:58:19 PM
Nothing is better for summer cruising than a open car.  These cars are fun, just have a few quirks.  Is that a down draft carb?  What thickness oil are you running? 
Is there a vacuum leak on the oil pump to the fuel canister causing a loss of suction and hence lower oil pressure?  just a thought.  May need a rebuild on the oil pump?
Did you plastic gauge the bearing when cleaning out the oil pan?  Worn bearing?

COOl car
rusty

Hi rusty,  It has been converted to a down draft carb. i have the original carter drt-08 but it needs rebuilding (mainly new accelerator pump). I am running SAE30 oil in it. 
I know the bearing will eventually need doing as there is very slight Big end noise when cold but this has not got any worse.

I have just pulled the oil pump apart and found that this is not a fault.  All i have found is the supply line from pump to centre bearing may be loose. Going to pull sump off again and inspect further.

Thanks gary, I'm estimating about november she would be on the road.

Thanks Ian

imoore

Well this is kinda going to make me look stupid but i have found part of this oil pressure issue. i had the vac tank disconnected. Not knowing this would reflect oil pressure (thanks rusty for the idea) So i blocked the fitting and i have good amount of pressure, to much actually. i think someone has played with pressure relief valve. I have not yet pulled sump off still believe i have a leak cold in one of the pipes. Figures are:
20 cold idle
after 5-10mins of running 30 and then slowly rises to 45 But when u rev it drops to 30.
I also think i need to re inspect oil pump as i have induced a strange noise. What thickness gasket should i use between pump cover and pump?

But for now this weekend involves making new running boards. Going to make them out of 150mm decking joined together with dowels. cut to size covered with non slip rubber. just like originals were (except being hardwood).  If i have time i may figure out how to remove windscreen.

Ian

chetbrz

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

imoore

They look awesome. How have they aged since making them.

chetbrz

They still look great but of course the car is seldom out in the rain and it gets wiped off when back in the garage.

The aluminum moldings are not painted they are just polished.  Everything from Lowe's.

Chet...

Wrench29

Chet: You may want the one of two running boards that I have when I am finished. (Need to keep it for the template) I have the one from the right side in reasonably good shape. The one from the driver side (left) is missing. I intend on making new ones of Ironwood and installing with countersunk brass bolts.

imoore

Here is a quick photo of the finished running board.

chetbrz

Quote from: Wrench29 on June 01, 2012, 10:40:17 PM
Chet: You may want the one of two running boards that I have when I am finished. (Need to keep it for the template) I have the one from the right side in reasonably good shape. The one from the driver side (left) is missing. I intend on making new ones of Ironwood and installing with countersunk brass bolts.

Sounds good.  If I can get my hands on an original I could probably fabricate something similar.  I know someone on the POC board that sells new moldings but they are in the $300 dollar range.  Oh well we will see.  The 29 will be my retirement project.  Lots of time but probably not much money??? 

Chet...

chetbrz

Quote from: imoore on June 04, 2012, 06:18:43 AM
Here is a quick photo of the finished running board.

Isn't it nice to have something to step on.  :)

Chet...