• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Dave's 1929 U Resto project

Started by Crazydave, November 04, 2013, 02:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazydave

Well the battle starts. The first thing I wanted to do with this car is try and get her running, see how it sounds and have any problems hopefully show themselves right away. Well I need a part or two. See below Pics.

Crazydave

It looks like someone recently attempted to get this car going. There was a newer coil and jumper wire zip tied to the E brake handle in the car. So my guess is when they cranked it, the old distributor base was gunked up and crumbled.

This is interesting in a box of parts I got another distributor, base and timing lever. These are a perfect mirror image of what I need. As you can see from the picture, the gears on distributors drive opposite, and the drive on the base is offset opposite to the bolt holes of the other. (it would mount upside down)

When Frank was out we looked up the part number on the spare parts and believe them to be from a model Q. Delco Remy 630B Plymouth-Q and 635T Plymouth U. So I have an original Q base in good shape that I'm sure someone somewhere would love to have and I need a base for a U. I started trying to hunt down parts here locally at the older yards and have not had luck yet. So if someone knows or hears about one, let me know it would be most helpful. In the mean time, I am going to attempt to have a machinist friend of mine make one out of billet aluminum since I have a good base with the correct diameter measurements available.

I am aware that someone had made reproductions, and booked marked there info. Would like an original eventually. 

Crazydave

This weekend I stopped back were I acquired the car and got the old owners info. So I will try and contact him soon and get the back story. It is suppose to be a one owner kept in the family since it was new. It would cool to know when it last ran etc. I'll update this thread as the story unravels and as I make progress. (maybe over the course of years lol)

chetbrz

Hi Dave,

Replacing the distributor assembly with a remanufactured one is a good idea.  The original assembly crumbling I believe is pretty common.  It basically looks like pot metal.  Anyway, do you have a starter motor and does the engine crank over.  If it does.., a wet compression test can help you decide what your next steps might be for the engine.  Since the motor hasn't run for quite some time I would skip the dry compression test.  Don't worry too much about how much compression it pumps up the main thing is that it is reasonably consistent across all the cylinders.  The 1929 4 cylinder motor isn't exactly high compression.  40psi across all cylinders would be a real good runner.   At this point anything consistent would be OK so don't get hung up on a low compression reading.

For an old motor it would probably be best to drop the oil pan and pull the head and clean out as much goop as possible before you fire it up since you will have to wait for the distributor assembly.   If the motor spins free with the spark plugs out I would think that's a good sign.  Cylinder wear and edge ring might tell you how much life is left in the old motor.  Of course if it fired up that would be an even better indicator. 

Have fun,  Just my 2 cents

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SteveG

Dave,
I don't have any parts to help you out but, I will really enjoy your followup posts. Much to learn!
Good luck,
SteveG

Crazydave

Chet- Getting her fired up is always the first and most exciting thing to do !!  I really wanted to see if it had a knock or stuck ring and if I should just pull it right away and rip it down. Kind of wanted to get the brakes, clutch and fuel going so I could play a little while I decided how far to go with car. I haven't put a battery in, I'm a little wary of the wiring but with the hand crank it turns over freely even with the plugs in. Sounds and feels like it builds compression. 

Steve- Thanks. I'll make this my build thread and update what I'm working on. Its going to be slow going, I'm still setting up my work shop and collecting tools again. (moved this summer) I'm learning every time I look at this thing. I'll have a lot of question so thanks in advance guys

Dave

Old Man

I've lost contact with the site but there is a repro site in Australia the makes a lot of Dodge and Plymouth stuff as well as other vehicles. And I believe one of the things they cast is the base for these Plymouth white metal distributor bases. I remember it was horrendously expensive,by my pocketbook, but it would be quicker. I think it was several $100 U.S. plus shipping from downunder. I think they use one of those new computer printer systems to image a part using a laser.   

Crazydave

Quote from: Old Man on November 05, 2013, 08:49:59 AM
I've lost contact with the site but there is a repro site in Australia the makes a lot of Dodge and Plymouth stuff as well as other vehicles. And I believe one of the things they cast is the base for these Plymouth white metal distributor bases. I remember it was horrendously expensive,by my pocketbook, but it would be quicker. I think it was several $100 U.S. plus shipping from downunder. I think they use one of those new computer printer systems to image a part using a laser.   

I found this on another site

QuoteI have a 29 Ply and also needed a distributor drive. If you will contact Tom Hannaford at Antique Auto Parts Cellar 718-335-1579 they make their version of this drive and housing. They have a whole new bronze cast base and gears for #395.00 He is well versed in this drive and can supply any needed info. Usually the original 90 deg. base is not usable because it was made of pot metal. THEIR gears and shaft only fit THEIR base. (job security I guess) Hope this helps. Happy Motoring!!!! - Rich

I just sent off my parts with my machinist friend yesterday, and hope to have an aluminum base in a week or two. If for some reason that does not work out I'll start digging into these sources. I'll post pictures of the machined base as the work gets done.

Crazydave

Last week I tracked down the owners contact info and left a message for him. Saturday I received a call back and he verified the cars history. Its been in his family since it was new, it came from New Germany MN and is indeed original. They had it running about 14, 15 years ago and that was when the distributor base broke.

I will stay in contact and keep him updated as progress moves forward. I pointed him toward this site, maybe he'll join.

How often do you find a car this old, in this good of shape and be able to track it to its beginning?  Great Story!

frankp

Dave, nice going on both fronts.  frank
frank p

Crazydave

Now that the endless winter seems to have gone, motivation is back. (meaning instead of computer work, actually picking up wrenches)

I have spent the winter months searching for parts, have come close to acquiring what I need a couple of times put it never quite worked out. So i will be posting my master wishlist here and on the AACA soon.

Here's the first problem

Its junk. As I cleaned the rust away, more and more holes appeared. I may just plumb the gas line through it and hide a pump and regulator so it looks stock but functions. Unless I find a new can before I want to run it. 

Crazydave

At the beginning of this thread, I posted the only real obstacle to me trying to get this thing running. I came close this winter to getting an original, but it never quite happened. 
Well check out the solution thanks to a friend of mine at Dahlheimer Machining Inc.
Is it a little too flashy? 

I have a few things to get in order first, but will trying to wake her up soon. Frank agreed to come over and help with technical support and shoot video. If it goes will I'll put a video on youtube.

Also have a stuck throw out bearing so the trans will be coming out.

I'll try and keep this thread updated with the challenges and victory's that come with this project.

Current goal is to have it running, moving and braking in time for a nearby threshing show in August.

Crazydave

And a big thanks to Frank for loaning me a base to measure from.

chetbrz

Dave,

Really nice work.  A little black paint and the average person won't know the difference.   ;D

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Crazydave

More fuel system work. Carb came apart easy, and really wasn't too dirty or in bad shape. Have to make a couple of gaskets and mount it back up.