• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Silver Dome Head Paint

Started by racertb, January 30, 2014, 11:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

All:

Looking to repaint/spray the 'ol Silver Dome head.  Any paticular silver or argent paint that works well and is the correct or close shade?  Let me know what you've used and what works.  I will be doing this while installed on the motor, with a few things removed and a lot of heavy masking everywhere else.

Thanks,

Ted

PatrickSmith

Ted,

I used a silver automotive engine spray paint I purchased at Autozone. I do not know how close to original it is but I think it turned out fine. The paint is holding up very well and cleans easily. They only had a couple of silver options so I just picked one. In my opinion anything is a improvement over the way it looked before.

Bearings 46

Years ago someone looked at the silver head on my 30U RS Coupe and said it was an incorrect color unless it was the higher compression head. Anyone care to venture a clarification?

frankp

Hi Ted,

I used KRYLON HIGH HEAT SPRAY PAINT, Aluminum 1402.  The Walmart price tag says #3.24, so you can imagine how long ago I bought it.  Has held well and use it for touching up spots.  Clean area with brass brush, wipe with paint thinner, spray small amount into clean butter tub and brush it on.  Blends nicely, at least to my eyes.

Bearings 46,

If it says Silver Dome on the head, then that is its "color."  The high compression head was red.

frank
frank p

racertb

Thanks Patrick.  I work for Advance Auto and will most likely pick up something there; I will probably wait for a few more thoughts from others.

Bearings 46

Frank - thanks fpor the clarification!

racertb

So Frank, you applied with a brush?  Any particular kind to minimize brush marks?

I will probably spray and use a brush for hard to reach areas since the head will stay on the motor.

PatrickSmith

Regarding the head compression, I believe in 32 a option of a higher compression head called "Red Head" was made avail. From what I understand the head was clearly stamped RED HEAD. Standard head was: Silver.
Optional high compression: Red (cast iron) or "as cast" (unpainted) aluminum and was painted red. Information from: http://www.ply33.com/Backmatter/EngineColor

frankp

Ted,

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit my brush is a Mary Kay cosmetic brush I "borrowed" from my wife.  It is about 3/4" wide, very fine, soft bristles.  The head was sprayed when the engine was overhauled in the late '80s.  Just use the brush for touch-up.

frank
frank p