• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Quiet time

Started by imoore, May 28, 2013, 03:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imoore

Hey all,

For past couple of weeks i have notice that the forum is very quiet. So either Plymouth's are very reliable and never brake down or we are to busy fixing them...
For me, I made a Luggage rack for the back. Very happy with how it turned out. but feel its not strong enough to carry a trunk. It would hold it but i feel when driving it would bounce and do some horrible damage to chassis. But i am still happy with results.
I also gave it its first oil change since being on road. Oil was very thin. Ended up putting some 40-70 oil in it. Hopefully this quietens down the big end knock a little under heavy load. I cant afford a rebuild at present.
By the way i fixed the misfire. it turned out that i had 3 out of 4 spark plugs faulty. Since put originals back in and she runs sweet.
Are their any other brands out their that make 7/8 plugs. I am a bit against buying auto lite again after above result. So lesson learnt just because its new, don't rule it out.   

Thats about it for me
How bout you???

Cheers Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

Tinkeys

Hi Ian !
It seemed to get quiet this time last year as well !

I would like to see pics of the luggage rack if you have them
Jason Anderson

imoore

Hi
here some pics of my luggage rack

chetbrz

Quote from: imoore on May 28, 2013, 03:59:41 AM
Hey all,

For past couple of weeks i have notice that the forum is very quiet. So either Plymouth's are very reliable and never brake down or we are to busy fixing them...

Thats about it for me
How bout you???

Cheers Ian

Wish I could say I was busy fixing my cars but unfortunately the day job has been sucking up all my time.  I think I will be able to relax a bit come the end of July.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

imoore

I know what you mean chet. I have just started a new job. Its been keeping me busy with overtime and late nights. But i guess i don't have a miss's and i still live at home with parents so i have time to do things inbetween.

Ian

racertb

Ian:

On the spark plugs, I use either Champion D16 or AC C87...I put the AC's in since the car most recently since it came with AC originally, so I'm told.

Ted

imoore

Hi ted
Unfortunatly the Qs don't use 18mm plugs. If they did i would be using ngk ab6. These are a good plug. I use them in my stationary engines.
the Q uses 7/8 plugs which i believe they are very limited in options available.
I am looking at a set of NOS Atm. So will see what happens
Thanks
Ian

imoore

Well my Q officially does not like new spark plugs. Like you all know i had a set of Autolite plugs which caused a misfire/flutter. So i brought a set of NOS Vesta spark plugs and guess what mis's at idle again. So i have reverted back to the old champion 20's that were in it. And i will work out something when these plugs stop working. I gave her a workout on sun up through the mountains. she held speed in top nicely. Didn't struggle.
Also 40W70 oil quieten down the bearing noise a lot.
Ian

chetbrz

Quote from: imoore on May 31, 2013, 11:03:18 AM
Hi ted
Unfortunately the Qs don't use 18mm plugs. If they did i would be using ngk ab6. These are a good plug. I use them in my stationary engines.
the Q uses 7/8 plugs which i believe they are very limited in options available.
I am looking at a set of NOS Atm. So will see what happens
Thanks
Ian

Ian,

I believe I have two new sets of Champion Plugs and I am sure they are 7/8".  Very large plugs which I thought would work in my 29U but they are two big.  They were expensive when I purchased them, $8.00 each.  If you are interested I will check which plugs they are.  Unfortunately they are out at our house on the eastern shore and I won't be back out their until Saturday 6/29.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

imoore

They were expensive when I purchased them, $8.00 each. 
Chet...
[/quote]

Hey Chet
Sorry but this made me laugh. The first set of spark plugs (autolite 3076) cost me $16 each. This was the cheapest option if i would have purchased them from our local vintage parts store they would have cost me $26 each.

If you could let me know about the plug when you see them.
The originals i have been using are champion 20
Thanks
Ian

chetbrz

OK, next weekend I will dig them out and let you know which Champions they are.

Chet...

chetbrz

Ian,

The plugs I have are New Champion (561) W16Y.  They are very large plugs I purchased them quite awhile ago.

I think they are for the Model A Ford.  You can find specs on the internet.

I don't know if these would work but I was told that they could be used on the 28 Plymouth.

Chet...

chetbrz

Quote from: chetbrz on June 30, 2013, 10:34:42 AM
Ian,

The plugs I have are New Champion (561) W16Y.  They are very large plugs I purchased them quite awhile ago.
I think they are for the Model A Ford.  You can find specs on the internet.
I don't know if these would work but I was told that they could be used on the 28 Plymouth.

Chet...

I found these specs on the Champion Website:

Plug Specifications
Thread Size: 7/8"-18 TPI
Reach: 16mm (5/8")
Hex Size: 15/16" (23.8mm)
Gap: .025" (0.64mm)
Seat Type: Gasket
Resistor: No
Heat Range: 6
Gasket #: A-478
Center Electrode
Type: Standard
Material: Nickel
Firing End Design: Standard Projected Core Nose
Ground Electrode
Material: Nickel
Type: Standard
Installation Information
Tightening Torque - Cast Iron: 50-55 lb. ft.

Old Man

Just my 2 cents on the spark plugs: I have a 1960 Champion wall chart and it says for 1929 thru 1931 use Champion UD-16 or 17,gap .025,dist. gap .020 (Don't know why it doesn't mention 1928.)  
After posting I decided I would phone around about those UD-16s and they are still an 'active part' in Canada. One of my car parts stores has 3 in stock and could get more 'by tomorrow or the next day' and the cost is $ 4.99 + 13% sales tax Cdn. ea. What's that, about 2.5 L plus VAT?