• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Carburetor Adjustment Question

Started by racertb, June 30, 2013, 02:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

All:

I was working on the car today and "playing" with the idle control screw/fuel-air mixture screw (#5 in the instruction book) and noticed that while fine tuning to what I though was a good setting, there seemed to be a "hissing" sound (air) coming from that part.  That is, I could place my fingers on the screw itself which would stop the hissing/air, as if the screw was loose inside the housing.

My first thought was/is this is not normal and there shouldn't be any leak/suction (air) here.  Am I correct in this?  If so, is the screw somehow worn out causing excessive play?

Has anyone had this issue before or is this normal operation?

Thanks,

Ted

Tinkeys

Hi Ted !
Dont that is normal , you maybe able to put some teflon pipe sealing tape as a tempory fix though !
cheers Tony.

frankp

Hi Ted,

I might guess this is normal, though with my hearing loss I can't hear it.  As this screw "operates on the air ..,"  I believe this port allows air in and allows the fine tuning of the combustion mixture.

frank
frank p

racertb

Thanks guys...still a little confused with the different answers  :)

If anyone else wants to weigh in and check this area out with their car running, that would be great.  If this IS normal, than no worries.  If not, then I guess I need to replace the screw. :-\

Tinkeys

On some carburetor 's. the screw is there to bypass air in chamber or throught of Carby don't think it's from outside as dust can be drawn in . Best to ask a Carby rebuilder to be sure
Cheers Tony

racertb

Gary 30U

Sorry, but what carb are we refering to. Is this a Carter RT-08, DRT-08 or something else, It will make a big difference.

Happy Motoring, Gary

racertb