• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Radiator fluid

Started by Rusty, July 09, 2013, 04:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I have had a problem with over heating.  I have had a new radiator core (from brass works) along with a 4 blade fan blade( off a40 dodge) and she still ran hot.  It would boil away radiator fluid and every gas fill up I was adding more fuild.  I was using 50:50 water/prestone.
I then tried 100 percent water from the garden hose, it worked. Worked great.
Ran cooler, no needing to frequently add more.  I have added some water wetter for the anti rust effect.
What do most people run in there thermo sphion radiators?
I use a old John Deere two clyinder with thermo sphion that has 50:50 mix and never had any issues even on 90 degree days under heavy use ( plowing).
Rusty

frankp

Hi Rusty,

I've always used the 50:50 mix also and don't recall seeing any steam, except when level ran low.  I attributed low fluid to a radiator leak, but maybe this masked the problem?

frank
frank p

Old Man

Believe it or not you most likely have a blown head gasket. You can drive and use a car with a blown head gasket and the only problem is a constant overheating problem. I've had it and couldn't believe it when I finally found it. Some place in the gasket is allowing hot combustion gases from one cylinder into the water jacket. And it can be intermittent. It can depend on speed and heat of the day. I even had it on a 1988 Chylser Le Baron,a fancy K car, and I was shown that the telltale was a VERY clean number one cylinder spark plug. The cylinder was burning the ethylene glycol,which is really a liquid plastic, and this kept the spark plug looking like it just came out of the box. The head gasket had ruptured in a very narrow area between number one cylinder and a water tube taking water up to the head from the block. If you're not satisfied it has been fixed,I would consider a new head gasket. (Copper is the best and I put them in dry. No gasket glue.)  

racertb

Distilled water...more water than coolant...maybe 60/40 or 70/30 mix.

Rusty

I had over heated once and blew the head gasket.  Not sure, now that I think about it, chicken/egg thing.  Did I have a leaking gasket that lead to over heating or the other way round.  I did check the plugs, all the same gray.  I have zero fuild loss now so I doubt a leak some where.
Currently, it is the best I have ever had it running.  I am not messing with it.
I really need to make sure I drain the system this fall or I will be posting a request on how to weld a cracked block.
Rusty

imoore

Just as a thought. Could adding coolant stop thermosyphon effect. My understanding of thermo cooling systems is that the water needs to get hot and expand to start circulating. So by adding coolant this might stop water expansion ( i know it will expand but maybe not enough) and also increase the boiling point.
What do you think?
Maybe reduce the mix to like 30/70 coolant/water
I use just rust inhibitor which has a very slight coolant content. Never had a problem with overheating. In fact it works very well.
Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

frankp

The reason I use 50:50, is winter temperature may go to -30 F (just ask SD Glenn -lol).  Draining fluid is not very viable where car is parked and stored.  I suppose the winter mix could be replaced each spring though, if a big issue here.
frank p

Tinkeys

Just a thought have a go at flushing out engine block and reverse flush new radiator , try putting a large container to catch water to see if any particles come out !

chetbrz

Just an FYI...  Since I grew up in the Northeast I have always used 50/50 mixture of coolant in all my cars.   As far as my 29 is concerned it is no different.  I haven't added water in 3 years and have driven the car in 90 degree weather.  I guess the thermometer in the radiator cap helps me feel OK about the water level.  Just opening the cap and looking in I don't see any water.  It seems that these cars find their own level and then work just fine.   My temperature is always right on the money.  According to the radiator motormeter I purchased from Jay Fisher.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Quote from: imoore on July 10, 2013, 05:50:23 AM
Just as a thought. Could adding coolant stop thermosyphon effect. My understanding of thermo cooling systems is that the water needs to get hot and expand to start circulating. So by adding coolant this might stop water expansion ( i know it will expand but maybe not enough) and also increase the boiling point.
What do you think?
I use just rust inhibitor which has a very slight coolant content. Never had a problem with overheating. In fact it works very well.
Ian

I believe "yes" to this.  I used to run 50/50 and had occasional overheating.  I had read on some tractor sights about the thermosiphon system and they recommended more water (distilled) than coolant because it DOES effect the system.  That's why I use approximately a 70/30 mix (mostly water) and keep it full.

chetbrz

Quote from: racertb on July 15, 2013, 02:57:42 PM
Quote from: imoore on July 10, 2013, 05:50:23 AM
What do you think?
Ian

I believe "yes" to this.  I used to run 50/50 and had occasional overheating.  I had read on some tractor sights about the thermosiphon system and they recommended more water (distilled) than coolant because it DOES effect the system.  That's why I use approximately a 70/30 mix (mostly water) and keep it full.

Sounds good to me.  I usually start with 50/50 and if needed add water.  I am probably closer to 30/70 by now then the original 50/50.  Maybe that's why I have had little trouble.  The theory makes sense to me.

Tks,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SDGlenn

Reference SD weather.......... and antifreeze. My take anyhow.  I have never checked to see what percentages I am using. I always (only) ADD enough antifreeze to bring the freeze point down to -32 degree.  I have had no heating problems yet. Surprisingly, My radiator was leaking when I got the car 3-4 years ago, I took it to the radiator shop and they refused to fix it, said it was to far gone.  I put in a bottle of Barrs leak stop and have been driving it since with no leakage. I am keeping my fingers crossed thou, and watch it pretty close. lol   Rusty, we (the POC -Lewis and Clark chapter) have a meeting on the 28th of July, at Canton SD, there is also a good sized car show there the same day. Would you like to ride on down with me and see what we are doing? I expect to see a few of the members cars there. Maybe even my 39.
Take care,
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

Old Man

Always having wondered whether I was actually mixing 50/50 as Prestone recommends, I now just buy Prestone Premix at about $14 for a 4 litre jug. Several other makes sell premix now including the house brands. But they're only a couple of bucks cheaper so I just buy Prestone. (I buy distilled water at my local grocery store for 88 cents for a 4 litre jug and use that in my batteries. Wife uses it in her steam iron.) I once wrote Prestone Canada Ltd. about antifreeze in an antique and they said to just use 50/50 and recommended changing the whole system about every 4-5 years. They DO NOT recommend draining the system over winter as there are rust inhibitors in the Prestone. And the air can get to the metal surfaces with no antifreeze in there. I add a small container of Prestone rust inhibitor as an extra against rust and corrosion. We Canadians try to keep our systems good to -40 Celsius which just happens to be -40 Frankenstein as well. I notice all the antifreeze containers now state good to -40 C.