• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Stalling

Started by carman1948, June 26, 2016, 11:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carman1948

I have a 29 u and sometimes when we're going up hill it starts to stalls like it's lacking fuel anybody got any ideas

frankp

Carman,

I'll take a WAG, what happens when the choke is applied in this situation?  This might  confirm the lack of gas.  Is your timing correct?  What happens if you pull the spark control out?

Now straight from the Instruction Book under Loss of Power

Too rich mixture
Valves not seating
Less than normal tappet clearance
Ignition improperly timed
Lack of oil or water
Lack of fuel, due to obstruction in fuel pipe or carburetor
Screen filled with dirt
Dragging brakes
Engine overheating
Loss of compression

I always check the easy things first and wind up taking the carb apart to clean when mine hesitates.  Thankfully, running like a top this year.

Good luck to you,
frank
frank p

Articifer Tom

Had similar problem this year . was coarse rust in tank restricting fuel flow . But not making to fuel filter to show up. Top of tank was rotting away ,more I drove worst it got .

chetbrz

I think Tom may be on to something.  A large amount of sediment in the tank might be the reason for your occasional problem.  On a steep incline or on a long incline the gas flow might be restricted due to sediment moving around in the tank.  If that's not it then Frank pretty much touched on everything else.

My two cents.  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member