• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Restoration Begins

Started by chetbrz, September 15, 2016, 05:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

Well I am finally starting my 29 restoration.  The car has been sitting for a couple of years.  Since we retired to Delaware I still haven't titled the car because I have to bring it down to the Motor Vehicles to have it physically inspected.  I guess they need to see it at least once, to verify that it exists.  Anyway I would need to trailer it down and since my car trailer needs to go in for an inspection I will take the 29 along and get it titled and registered.

Of course there is always a problem.  I hope to change the Title info to reflect the proper year.  The car was registered as a 1928 Model U Plymouth under the Body Number.  I will not try to change the VIN Number but will try to change the date to reflect the actual correct year.  1929 Model U.  Wish me luck.  How do I explain to the DMV that the car was incorrectly titled in Florida where I purchased it.  I correct the Q to U when I titled it in VA.  So I hope to correct the Year next week.  I had this plate made up for the car to reflect the correct INFO for the DMV and at the same time reflect the proper Fedco Number.  The cost was $42.00.

After at least 3 years of inactivity the old girl fired up without any issues.  My car needs a lot of work to bring her back to a reasonable example of an original 1929 Plymouth.  I plan to keep the old interior but redo the internal wooden frame, roof, and floor and everything else that was incorrectly repaired.  The old girl has been molested by many well intentioned owners but it's time to try and get her back to a reasonable facsimile of original condition and save as much of the original patina as possible.   I am not looking to create a factory fresh car but a correct car that shows its 80 years of existence.  Once we jump through the DMV hoop then on to a more interesting agenda. 

Wish me luck I'll keep you guys posted on my progress in this thread.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Articifer Tom

I wish you luck . Went through similar last year with mine was titled  wrong year . Was expecting a big hassle had all paper work ready ,including build card . My notary said do not send it unless ask , just do the form . It was no problem as it turned out . Like he said ,as long as they get there money .

chetbrz

I'll see the DMV on Thursday and hopefully complete the title/registration and then I can start taking her apart.  I bought this car in Florida in 2006 and can't wait to finally get started on her restoration.  I have been collecting original parts and info since I acquired the car and looking forward to getting started.  The posts contained within this forum should prove to be an excellent guide for my project.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Looking forward to seeing the updates and progress.  What is the original color and will you be going with that?  Will you be painting the wheels/spokes?  The reason I asked is that I just re-did all of my brakes and while the wheels are off, I'm having the wheels (felloes and spokes) painted the body color as original.  Also going to pinstripe the spokes.

chetbrz

Ted,

I believe the original color was Marine Blue or Marquette Blue which ever one is the lighter color.  I think as I start to disassemble the car to fix the wood framing maybe the original color will be revealed.  I am not sure what to do with the wheels.  You are correct the wheels were painted the same as the body but the wife likes the raw wood varnished.  I have a set of 19" from a 30U that are mint and I might redo my 20" wheels and paint them like originally done.  Maybe have both ? That decision will be a little out from here.  We'll see how the winter work goes.

PS post a picture of your wheels when you get them back on.

Chet...

chetbrz

Well the trip to the DMV didn't go well  :-\

So here she sits awaiting a call from the Delaware State Police Auto Theft officer.  Since the body plate was lost and replaced with a new plate the car has to be inspected by a state police auto theft officer.   If I'm going this route I have already informed them that the Title year and VIN number is incorrect.  So I am awaiting a call to sit down with them and lay out my case.  The DMV lady said she can trace the car back to the state and person I purchased the car from in 2006.  I guess if I am going to restore the car I might just as well restore the proper FEDCO VIN number.  Worse case they keep it under the Body ID number.  So until I can get this all straightened out she will sit on the trailer.  Just too hard to take her off and on again.

frankp

Chet,

Sorry to hear about DMV experience.  I also trying to change 28 to 29 in Minnesota.  Title change initiated Aug 26.  Article in last Sat paper said they are woefully behind - now serving June 21!  I certainly hope Delaware is faster and you don't have your car trailored for the next 3 months.  At least you have officials who want it correct , here it is a different situation.

Anyway, looking forward to you restoration.  At one point you had mentioned resto as a taxi, have you decided a final direction?  (2 sets of tires, hmm, $$$)

Best of luck,
frank
frank p

chetbrz

Hi Frank,

FYI, I packed the forum database in the hope that it will speed things up a bit.

As far as mis-registered dates I assume that if you are registering a car in a state that will accept a Bill of Sale for a barn find, the reseller will always go for the 1928 as a first production year.  A more desirable distinction to drive the sale price up.   Hopefully get this all settled before I invest the time and effort into the restoration.  I'll have to have it inspected again after the restoration before the DMV will issue plates.  I will have to take it to the DMV by trailer, remove the car from the trailer and drive it through the inspection point before I can even get Antique plates.  Much more ridged than Virginia.  In Virginia you just sign an affidavit that the car is maintained to original manufacturing specifications.  The state backs off and the responsibility is solely yours.

Chet...

chetbrz

Now I am officially P-ed off:

Spent 5 hours in a line at the Delaware DMV having my 29 Plymouth inspected by the Delaware State Police Auto Theft Division.  PS..., Second time there in the last 2 months.   I had already explained to them prior to this 5 hour wait that the car was originally titled under the Body ID number and not the FEDCO number so finding the Body ID Number stamped into the frame was not realistic, their answer to me was; Delaware could not title my car.  Mind you.., I have had this car titled, registered, and insured in the state of Virginia for more than 10 Years.  This fact meant nothing to them.  I am going out of my mind.!!!   :-X :-\

I am so P-ed Off that words can not express my feelings at this time.  I told the officer that if I stamped these incorrect numbers unto my frame and let you guys stumble across them then I would be Golden.  Well NO.., I will not do this.   

For now.., drinking a lot and trying to set up an appointment with the State DMV Auto theft investigator.  I mean really, do they think that I am running a 29 Plymouth auto theft ring ?????

Chet...

frankp

Chet, what a nightmare!  Maybe the next person will have an epiphany as you explain every thing once again.  Best of luck.   frank
frank p

chetbrz

Well I have worked my way through the DMV food chain.  I have an appointment in Dover with a DMV official who will title the car but not correct the FEDCO number nor the year.  They will either title it the same as my Virginia title or generate a new VIN number which would even be further from reality.  So by COB tomorrow I should have a Delaware title for my car and then I can start the actual restoration work.

I hope...  Well see,   Chet...

frankp

Chet,

I finally received my new title today reading 1929!  They even included a copy of page 1157 of a book(?) that states the serial numbers, FEDCO, of 1929 cars.

I'm astounded.  I wish I knew the title of this book containing this information.      frank
frank p

chetbrz

Quote from: frankp on November 26, 2016, 12:40:31 PM
Chet,

I finally received my new title today reading 1929!  They even included a copy of page 1157 of a book(?) that states the serial numbers, FEDCO, of 1929 cars.   I'm astounded.  I wish I knew the title of this book containing this information.      frank

Hi Frank,  I wish you know the name of that book, even though it probably wouldn't help me very much.  My FEDCO number is very hard to read so having the book would not help in my situation.  I guess I could have pressed them more but gave in to the bureaucracy.  For now I have accepted the situation and moved on.

Chet...

hursst

Good luck on your restoration.  Compared to dealing with the DMV, the resto will be easy.