• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Wood Wheel/Artillery Wheel Restoration

Started by racertb, October 12, 2016, 10:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

Nice looking Drums.  Did you reface them.  They look sleeved ?
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Chet, the only thing I did to the drums was to hand sand the inside surface with 100 grit sand paper where the shoes come in contact.  The shop that painted the wheels installed new "jam" nuts inside the drums when he put the wheels back together...Ted.

racertb

Got a couple wheels on...Will hopefully bleed the brakes and road test this weekend.

racertb

Here is the finished product!  Took the car out today (in the 70's here in FL)...car ran great (knock on wood!) and the brakes are awesome! 

chetbrz

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

John
1929U 4 Dr

racertb

Thanks John!   They were powder coated about three years ago when I put the tires on.

Ted

29UJohn

Ted,
That's great!  I was wondering if they could be powder coated.
John
1929U 4 Dr

29UJohn

Hey Ted,
When you had your rims powder coated  did you have to do anything special to prep them? Were the rims split open or together when you sent them to be powder coated?

John
John
1929U 4 Dr

racertb

Hi John:

When I took the rims over a few years ago (along with the bumper mounts and luggage racks), all they did was clean them (bead blast?) down to bare metal and kept them rims opened up so no over lapping.  Once cleaned up, they went on ahead and did the powder coating process of spraying and then baking.  I chose gloss black for everything.  I did give some thought to a silver/cadmium look with the rims but stuck with the black.  I got everything back a few days later.

Hope this helps...

Ted

Articifer Tom

29UJohn

John
1929U 4 Dr